Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ball Joint

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint

When I was putting on my leveling kit I messed up both driver and passenger upper ball joints (DUMB). When I replace them can I just take the old ones off and put the new ones on or do I have to take everything apart like I did with the leveling kit? I should be able to just unscrew the nut and push the ball joint through the control arm and put the new one in right? or am I oversimplifying things? Any suggestions on which to go with? I still need to call Ford and see how much they want for them, but I found some online that seem pretty fairly priced. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

its not all that simple, most likely you will have to have a press to get the ball joints out, and i think they have snap rings on them, i beleive youll have to take it all of once again like you did with the levelin kit
Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Mr.C

I dont think the ball joints are replaceable, you replace the complete upper contol arm.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM

I talked to a guy from Ford today and he said that Ford doesn't have a replacement ball joint for the upper, but maybe there is an after market one. I am going to look tom. and try to figure it out. Has anybody had any experience with the upper ball joints?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

many years ago....when the new trucks first came out, the alignment guys i go to had an f150 with a front leveling kit....they noted the same problem, they didnt like the way the ball joint is stressed and that true alignment becomes more difficult....
Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Average Joe

I am going to use Total Chaos upper control arms in the near future to replace my upper control arms. No more ball joints, as they use a teflon coated uni-ball.

I have to buy upper arms to replace the ball joints anyway, might as well make some improvements.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brattonr
I am going to use Total Chaos upper control arms in the near future to replace my upper control arms. No more ball joints, as they use a teflon coated uni-ball.

I have to buy upper arms to replace the ball joints anyway, might as well make some improvements.
where do you plan on gettin these at???? is a uni-ball a good design is it alot better than just ball joints i would assume it is, that would be a easy upgrade to bolt on

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 04GreyFX4
When I was putting on my leveling kit I messed up both driver and passenger upper ball joints (DUMB). When I replace them can I just take the old ones off and put the new ones on or do I have to take everything apart like I did with the leveling kit? I should be able to just unscrew the nut and push the ball joint through the control arm and put the new one in right? or am I oversimplifying things? Any suggestions on which to go with? I still need to call Ford and see how much they want for them, but I found some online that seem pretty fairly priced. Thanks.
You can not just replace the upper balljoint you will need to buy the whole upper controll arm , I know its to late but im guessing you used a fork to try and seperate the ball joint , all you need is a nice heavy hammer and you strike the the outside and it will pop out .
Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Average Joe

This is where I found them.

http://www.chaosfab.com/80501.html

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
where do you plan on gettin these at???? is a uni-ball a good design is it alot better than just ball joints i would assume it is, that would be a easy upgrade to bolt on
Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brattonr
This is where I found them.

http://www.chaosfab.com/80501.html

yea i found that website too, but you have any idea for the cheapest cost, the cheapest i found was like 700 bucks but the regular upper control arms arent that cheap either i dont believe, so when mine go out i think ill just repalce them with this

Quick Reply: Ball Joint