Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bad Vibration In Rear End When Turning From Stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Vibration In Rear End When Turning From Stop

Hey everyone,

First time poster long time reader of the site i was hoping someone could pinpoint a problem with my 04. XLT 5.4 Scab, doesnt have the limited slip. When starting from a stop with the wheels turned i get a vibration in the rear..seems to be getting worse and worse i changed the fluid about 2k ago as i hoped that would fix it. It did not. I didnt notice metal shavings in the fluid really, just a tiny bit on the plug. Only happens when turning from a stop or very slow speed. Before i go buy a bunch of parts, does this sound like a bearing? other things that should be noted is i do have a broken shock in the front passenger however the vibration i believe started well after the shock was broke. i feel the viibration in the back of my seat and towards the ***, not as bad on the steering wheel. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Also i dont notice any grinding or anything, and no vibration at highway speed
Old 01-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you have an LSD?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same problem and I took it to a buddy of mine, that has a shop, and he told me it was the rear differential.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:45 PM

Hi thanks for replying i dont have the limited slip rear end. Did he mean that the rear end is completely shot?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

No its not completely shot, he had told me something about its grinding pretty bad but it's drivable. He put some type of lubrication from Ford, and it had helped for a little while but came back again. I plan on changing it out, but I'm waiting to regear.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Default Problem Fixed

Brought truck in and had a rear bearing and pinion seal fixed. Vibration was still There. Originally i checked the door sticker for the axle code and it was stickered as a non limited slip. Well finally i crawled under the truck and cleaned the tag off the rear end and sure enough it was a 3L55 which is limited slip right? Added 2 bottles of friction modifier and there is pretty much no vibration. Just wanted to let everyone know what happened
The following users liked this post:
Dannyboost (03-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Bad Vibration In Rear End When Turning From Stop