Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bad TransferCase Motor??? Relay? Fusible Link?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Bad TransferCase Motor??? Actuator? Relay? Fusible Links? *FIXED*

Replaced my 4WD Solenoid and the electrical connector that plugs into the solenoid and now I'm having more problems than when I started. My 4HI indicator light on the dash doesn't come on. It will sometimes flash on for a split second, but if I got to 4LO the indicator light works. Also the front drive shaft rotates when in 2wd, even when in neutral rolling down a driveway. And the past few months I've had issues with my drivers side actuator not fully engaging/disengaging so now with the front drive shaft constantly rotating, it feels like the drivers side wheel is going to break off or bounce away once you get going around 45-50 mph.

So are these new issues with the indicator light and front drive shaft being caused by a bad T-Case Motor? (I've already given it a few good whacks) Or is there a relay or fusible link or something? And did I do something wrong to cause these issues or is it just a coincidence? I mean I think I did a pretty damn good job wiring the connector up, soldered together and heat tubed. And yes I connected the correct wires together Haha

Last edited by JimmyB1232; 02-03-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: fixed problem
Old 02-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

sounds like the IWE's themselfs .. need to perform a vacuum test at the wheel ends.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM

Already checked the vacuum lines and each hub and no leak. I replaced both hub assemblies and actuators over the summer. I hit or I should say ran right over a deer back in October. Deer caught the bottom of my bumper then went right over it with both tires on the drivers side and caught a little bit of air off it. This is when the drivers side wheel started having issues engaging/disengaging completely and I'd hear the ticking sounds when at low speeds or when ypu accelerate from a stop. The truck was running great before I replaced the wiring connector. (The plastic tab/clip on the original connector that plugs into the solenoid broke off and cracked the plastic housing right down the middle so it would eventually just work its way out, disconnecting it from the solenoid.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

did you pull vacuum from the solenoid line down.. this would of checked the lines going down to the IWE's
Old 02-03-2015, 11:34 AM

I checked the lines (both ends), check valves, and straight off the hubs and no leaks. Only the drivers side wheel is locked in. I'm thinking it's the actuator and hopefully just the actuator and not the hub as well. When I cut the wires to the connector going to the solenoid then had capped off the wires I didn't think things through since the solenoid needs voltage to it to keep vacuum going to the wheels. And with that drivers side already having issues from hitting the deer, I think I might have just finished it off. Lol

Last edited by JimmyB1232; 02-03-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

There was a thread the other day where someone found the relay in the fuse/relay box under the hood was all corroded. Take a look in there.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 PM

Replaced the actuator, and Fuse #11 and she's fixed! Both wheels spin freely in 2WD now and both wheels lock with no issues. I used to get around 14.8mpg driving into work. After fixing it I got 16.9mpg. I'm sooooo happy now haha

Quick Reply: Bad TransferCase Motor??? Relay? Fusible Link?