Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

bad steering wheel wobble after 35" install

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad steering wheel wobble after 35" install

Here is my question, as some of you may know I just put on some 35" mudders on my 04 fx4. well the issue I am having now is an annoying intermittent steering wheel wobble that manifests itself around 40-50 or so mph (only sometimes) and comes and goes while driving at speeds above 50..... EXAMPLE: I can be driving at 65mph and the wheel is wobbling like crazy, then a minute later at 65mph the wheel is fine with no shaking. I find that when the wheel is shaking and I take a long sloping right turn is when it seems to tame it down but it isn't for very long until it comes back. However, it goes away and comes back while driving straight as well... I am thinking a balancing issue because it started happening the day I had the wheels mounted and balanced. my truck did nothing like this before. Also, I heard that you can't put a steering stabilizer/damper on a 2004 because of the type of steering we have, is that true? any insight or experience will help! thanks everyone

p.s. I've seen some videos on death wobble and it is definitely not that, hitting bumps does nothing to exacerbate or alleviate the shaking. It is still a strong shake though, at worst the steering wheel is moving 1/2 inch left and then a 1/2 inch right of center.Makes for a very uncomfortable to drive truck lol

-Josh

Last edited by errattiq; 08-22-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know the tires are new but try rotating them, it sounds like one may be slipping a cord, if that doesnt help then have them rebalanced, if it does help you need to replace the one thats causing it before it comes apart
Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 PM

Mine does the same thing from time to time. I've always been told stabalizers would fix it, and that the bigger tires kind of follow the groves of the road.

From what I know you should be able to install stabalizers. I have seen a few 04-08 with them.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 AM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Ads
Mine does the same thing from time to time. I've always been told stabalizers would fix it, and that the bigger tires kind of follow the groves of the road.

From what I know you should be able to install stabalizers. I have seen a few 04-08 with them.
N your sure they were 150's with steering stabalizers and not 250's? Just asking because i have been looking for a stabalizer and cannot locate a company that makes them for our F-150's.If you can locate a company that does and post it on here,you would be allot of ppl's best friend for sure.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:48 AM

did you get a lift kit with those 35" tires...? have you retorqued those tires yet?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Skull31
N your sure they were 150's with steering stabalizers and not 250's? Just asking because i have been looking for a stabalizer and cannot locate a company that makes them for our F-150's.If you can locate a company that does and post it on here,you would be allot of ppl's best friend for sure.
You may be right. Fabtech, rize and a few others have them but they are all designed to work with thier lift kits

So it looks like if you are running a stock suspension, there are none.

Hope you can get it figured out soon. Best of luck to ya
Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 AM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Ads
You
PHP Code:
[PHP
[/PHP]may be right. Fabtech, rize and a few others have them but they are all designed to work with thier lift kits

So it looks like if you are running a stock suspension, there are none.

Hope you can get it figured out soon. Best of luck to ya
I am actually gonna fab my own out of a Rough Country steering stabelizer.I mean all it is basically a shock inside a boot meant expand length wise.I will fab my own set up and fine a place to mount the buts and bolts.I will try,not saying it will work,but gonna try.Wish me luck
Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The dreaded "death wobble". Quite a few of the Saturday/Sunday car shows (Trucks, and TruckU) have done episodes on this. Whenever tall tires have been added that are not supported by stock suspension components, or if the body is lifted, this syndrome occurs. The stock front suspension needs to be beefed up. These two shows used a Jeep and a Dodge truck as examples; the front stabilizer and a steering shock were added/beefed up. There were other items as well. Check out this link as well:

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techart...FREB4wod2xNctQ

Do a Google search on "death wobble"....there are many more sites to help you out on solving the problem.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 08-23-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am very familiar with death wobble as i drove a lifted jeep for a long time. Death wobble starts with out of balancedtires, out of round tires, flat spots, and anything else wrong with tires lol. it is then applimfied by weak components in the suspension. usually in jeeps a faulty trac bar is the weak point but in these trucks there arent any trac bars. I would first start by swapping tires fron to rear. if that doesnt help have them checked for roundness and balance. u can check how round they are by jacking the truck up and putting it in drive and watch the tires "roll out". I would also go back into all of your suspension and make sure everything is really tight.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

New shocks (if you don't already have them) and a stablizer will do the trick....

Quick Reply: bad steering wheel wobble after 35" install