Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bad Catalytic Converter, how to remove and disable light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad Catalytic Converter, how to remove and disable light?

Hello,

I recently had my spark plugs and coils changed in my 5.4l 2006 FX4. They had gotten so bad that the truck would miss when accelerating up hills and what not. I let it go too long, my fault. However, after having them changed, the light came back on and when I took it back to the dealer they told me it was because of a bad catalytic converter. Essentially told me that the fouled plugs had let too much hot gas through the converter and its overheating now. They wanted $1600 to change it, or recommended that I take the truck to a muffler shop to have the converter removed as my state doesn't inspect/require etc. I considered doing this, but wouldn't the light always be on as the sensors would recognize that something was "off" with the exhaust? What do I do to fix this?

ED7
Old 06-30-2015, 09:51 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Let's see...a Ford dealership told you, you did not need a federally mandated in all 50 States Emissions system ?? I doubt that...but who knows. go have a high flow Cat welded in place of your clogged cat... magna flow makes one with the o2 sensor bung..cost you about $300 or less. Just because your State does not require an Inspection, don't mean it's not required by Law.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:59 AM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

If you bring it to a reputable exhaust shop you can buy a cat for these trucks for a reasonable amount of money high flow cats or direct OEM replacements from a variety of different vendors and they can cut the bad one out and weld a new one in place for a much more reasonable price you can also purchase a tuner and have the company write you a custom tune to remove the O2 sensors from the data stream
Old 06-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Before you remove the cat and replace it with a straight pipe, be sure you completely understand that its a FEDERAL law that states you cannot tamper with this equipment. Its also a FEDERAL law that prevents you from selling or trading in a vehicle with any of its FEDERALLY mandated equipment removed. Each state has its own state laws as to how its punishable if you were to sell it privately or to a dealer. In Florida, trading a vehicle in requires you to sign (at the time of trading it in or selling to a dealer) a paper that the FEDERALLY required equipment in place.

Folks here are only trying to help you save some trouble down the road.

And to answer your question about the check engine light, yes, it will set a code. A tune can be installed (provided you have a tuner) that can "bypass" the O2 sensors from the ECU/PCM.

By the time you buy the tuner and custom tune to do this, an aftermarket cat could be welded in by a muffler shop for close to this cost. Shop around.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 07-15-2015 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 PM
austinf150

Default Anti Fowlers

Go to a parts store and ask for 2 sets of spark plug anti fowlers. Put two on each of your rear o2 sensors. It worked on my old 5.4. Bring an o2 sensor to the parts store to make sure it fits. The parts guys will probably already know why you are doing it haha.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:58 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by austin_ormond
Go to a parts store and ask for 2 sets of spark plug anti fowlers. Put two on each of your rear o2 sensors. It worked on my old 5.4. Bring an o2 sensor to the parts store to make sure it fits. The parts guys will probably already know why you are doing it haha.
How will that un-clog his cat ??
Old 07-03-2015, 11:21 PM
austinf150

It will not do anything to the cats but it will pull the o2 sensors out of the exhaust, and they will be getting better air. It cost me 14$ and turned my light off and that's better that 1500 in new cats
Old 07-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Removing the cat will also make your exhaust crackle and pop. Provided you live in a trailer part there is probably nothing with that. However, you should leave the candy cane swingset exhaust pipes for the guy in the 86 regal with the "350 golden rocket".

No, but if the cat is plugged I would get an aftermarket dropped in at an exhaust shop for less money. If you have it removed you will need a tune to disable the rear o2s. So tuner ($250) + custom tune ($200-$500)=you are probably at new cat money.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the info guys, it is much appreciated. Honestly the Ford mechanic really did tell me to have a muffler shop cut out the cat... I will shop around for a good aftermarket cat. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:47 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by electricd7
Thanks for the info guys, it is much appreciated. Honestly the Ford mechanic really did tell me to have a muffler shop cut out the cat... I will shop around for a good aftermarket cat. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
Ask a sales person at that same dealership if they will buy your truck without the cat installed when you are ready to trade it in. Then tell them one of their mechanics recommended that you have it removed.

Let us know what that sales person said.

And to Austin Ormond, can you explain how a two spark plug anti foul inserts are going to turn off codes from the ECU/PCM when it does not get a reading from the missing O2's they are replacing?

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 07-15-2015 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad Catalytic Converter, how to remove and disable light?