Bad battery or alternator? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Bad battery or alternator?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
07MarkLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 77
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Bad battery or alternator?

How do i know if i have a bad alternator or if its just the battery. Truck started in the morning. Went to leave for work in the afternoon and nothing. Neighbor jumped it for me and it started right up. I have noticed that it has semed to be starting a little harder latey too. Thaks for any help
07MarkLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 278
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

You can get it tested free at most auto parts retailers.
chris.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Member
Thread Starter
 
07MarkLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 77
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Alright sounds good thank you.
07MarkLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Blown Mafia
iTrader: (4)
 
scobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,136
Thanked 74 Times in 71 Posts
Default

How old is the battery? Usually when you get a sudden "won't start" scenario it is the battery. I've had that before and had to carry a new battery 3 blocks
scobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Member
Thread Starter
 
07MarkLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 77
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobar View Post
How old is the battery? Usually when you get a sudden "won't start" scenario it is the battery. I've had that before and had to carry a new battery 3 blocks
Im pretty sure its the original so almost 7 years old. D***! that must have got heavy real fast
07MarkLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Blown Mafia
iTrader: (4)
 
scobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,136
Thanked 74 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07MarkLT View Post
Im pretty sure its the original so almost 7 years old. D***! that must have got heavy real fast
It did, it was also about 90 outside that day. Kinda miss that truck, kinda glad I don't have it anymore...was my old '92 f150.

My money is new battery fixes your issues. Usually they get to that 5-7 year mark then just crap out on ya.
scobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Member
Thread Starter
 
07MarkLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 77
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobar View Post
It did, it was also about 90 outside that day. Kinda miss that truck, kinda glad I don't have it anymore...was my old '92 f150.

My money is new battery fixes your issues. Usually they get to that 5-7 year mark then just crap out on ya.
Alright i appreciate the help. Not a thing you like to find out right before your leaving for work haha
07MarkLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

my battery crapped about 7 years old
poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 278
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

5-7 psh we cook em in 2-3 in Texas
chris.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,425
Thanks: 0
Thanked 99 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07MarkLT View Post
How do i know if i have a bad alternator or if its just the battery. Truck started in the morning. Went to leave for work in the afternoon and nothing. Neighbor jumped it for me and it started right up. I have noticed that it has semed to be starting a little harder latey too. Thaks for any help
I noticed the same thing with mine and I ended up replacing my battery. I have a unit that boosts/charges/tests batteries as well as alternators and my battery turned out to be defective. I upgraded to an AGM battery for a considerable cost. I'll post a thread about it shortly.
Tradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 5.4L 3V Rough Idle - Help Ottawavalleylad 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 11 06-23-2016 02:43 PM
Batteries and LP Lights Garrett99 1987 - 1996 F150 13 09-08-2015 02:43 PM
New F150 Muadude General F150 Discussion 0 09-07-2015 11:47 AM
1997 F-150 Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittent KnightIRD 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 2 09-05-2015 06:15 PM
07 f150 won't charge sdbeam Maintenance Shop 12 09-04-2015 12:09 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com