Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Backup sensor stays on

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup sensor stays on

I just had an amplifier and subwoofer installed and now my backup sensor stays on and beeping (full steady beep)... Also I noticed that when I tap the brake to engage the shifter the shifter moves and clicks (that only happens when I'm in park). I'd appreciate it if someone can help me with this problem.. Thank you

Ps. I will be bringing the truck back to the people who installed the amp and woofer but I just want to see if anyone on here can help me as well. Thanks again

-Mike 2005 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.4 V8

Last edited by jerzzymike; 03-13-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Did they install a backup camera or touch any of the stereo headunit wiring? They would have had to add a power antenna (remote amp) wire to turn the amp on and off. If you turn the headunit off, does it go away? Trying to see if they crossed something there. They also might be backfeeding something in the headunit when they tied in.

My other thought is, did they remove any panels or anything when they were in there and didn't put something back together properly? The shifter moves and clicks is very odd!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The clicking when you press on the break should be the **** interlock disengaging. The brake switch sends a signal that unlocks the shifter so you can shift out of park. Is it maybe something that made noise before and you are just now noticing it?

If they are staying on I'd recommend unplugging each sensor, one at a time. If unplugging a sensor make the beeping stop, you know you have a bad sensor or wiring. If none of them stop it, the main unit may be bad, or there could be a bad ground backfeeding voltage. It is unlikely that this is coincidental, but it is possible
Old 03-13-2014, 05:35 PM

I agree about the shift interlock, I misread that part.

Unfortunately, unplugging any of the sensors will disable the system (after 4 seconds), so the beeping will stop and the enable/disable parking assist light will go yellow (and cannot be enabled by the button). It has a fail-safe system in place. You can actually literally unplug the sensor, after 4 seconds it'll stop beeping (if there's something close enough to one of the other sensors), and once you plug the sensor back in and 4 seconds pass again, the system will re-activate. It's quite neat... I actually had a broken wire and then I got rear-ended and the autobody company didn't fix them properly. Overall, the system is designed to shutoff and illuminate the disable light if any of the 4 sensors cannot be read (this way a driver knows one or more sensors are not working either from failure or broken wire - otherwise they'd have a "blind" spot from one of the sensors and risk hitting something). My only complaint is Ford doesn't put that light in an obvious spot so if you throw the truck in reverse and actually have a dead sensor, you may not know the system disabled itself. I have the diagram at home for the PAM but there is a reverse feed that is supposed to activate the reverse sensors when the transmission is in reverse. This is a silly question that I was going to ask, are your reverse lights stuck on? I'd imagine you would have noticed that though.

I know the PAM sends a mute signal to the factory deck, and I also know that on SOME F150 models, the radio harness has a reverse signal line. I know for sure for the mute, there is a wire going from the PAM to the deck harness (to mute your audio while in reverse with assist on). I'm hoping they didn't tie into it by mistake, even though it's not the reverse trigger it may be making the PAM act up without activating the reverse lights (assuming they are actually off). Either way, the PAM sounds like it's receiving a false reverse signal for whatever reason. It always has +12V in ON, but the reverse signal is what makes it start beeping. I'm also assuming that you can press the park assist disable button to temporarily turn it off so you can at least drive without being annoyed?

Last edited by homer; 03-13-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 PM

I thought I'd attach these anyways as they may also be useful to others too. If they can't find the issue, they can check pin 3 (DG/YE) to see if 12 volts is constantly showing up. If there is, the Park Assist Module is being told you're in reverse (even though you're not). You'd have to trace back from there.
Attached Thumbnails Backup sensor stays on-cn1.jpg   Backup sensor stays on-cn2.jpg   Backup sensor stays on-cn-sensor.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Quite a bit different than Toyota's setup. On Toyotas you can unplug the sensors one at a time and the system still works. it's very helpful when you are trying to diagnose a possible bad sensor like in situations such as this
Old 03-14-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The beeping went away on its own so I don't know if it was because of the cold but it shouldn't matter if it's cold right? I wiped the sensors and made sure there was nothing obstructing... However the clicking in the shifter is still happening and to be honest I don't really know if it was happening before the amp and woofer installation... I just got the truck last week.. But I think I would have noticed it... Thanx for your feedback.. I'll try the things you guys mentioned
Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 PM

pcastal, that's really crazy. I don't know much about the Toyota system but I did install one from China and it does the same (although it doesn't work as well - what to expect for $30 though LOL). I would think that would be dangerous? Say your outer left sensor fails but the system doesn't tell you and you're trusting it then back into something? That seems crazy to me! That's why with Ford's, if one sensor is out it disables the entire system. I think GM did very similar too (although I'm not 100% on that). Either way though, everyone does things differently hahaha.

jerzzymike, are you sure you're not meaning what pcastal means with the shift interlock? If I put my foot on the brake too, my shifter interlock disengages so that I can shift gears. If I don't put my foot on the brake I can't shift out of park. If that's the case, that's actually normal, and in a lot of automatic vehicles. Am I reading that right?

As for the beeping went away....... I "assumed" you meant in ALL gears... Did you mean the beeping was constant while in reverse and now it's not, or in ALL gears? I'm thinking we missed a few details here. If it was doing it ONLY in reverse, then yes, it will do that at certain temperatures. Mine at approximately -30C (I think even at -20C not long ago), mine would solid beep. It'll also do it if snow is packed in one or more sensors, and obviously if your tailgate is down (as it's obstructing). I can't remember what the operating temperature range is but there is a range and it'll do that (as mine has done it at colder temps).

Last edited by homer; 03-14-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=homer;3363286]pcastal, that's really crazy. I don't know much about the Toyota system but I did install one from China and it does the same (although it doesn't work as well - what to expect for $30 though LOL). I would think that would be dangerous? Say your outer left sensor fails but the system doesn't tell you and you're trusting it then back into something? That seems crazy to me! That's why with Ford's, if one sensor is out it disables the entire system. I think GM did very similar too (although I'm not 100% on that). Either way though, everyone does things differently hahaha.

Well to be honest on the Toyota system it's rare for sensors to go bad. But there are always 4 sensors, so unless it's a pole or something, the next one over would pick it up. And typically when I have seen them go bad, it is one that constantly beeps, not a dead one that won't work at all. Maybe there is a failsafe built into the brain or something in case it sees a change in resistance. Never looked that far into it
Old 03-15-2014, 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=pcastal;3363482]
Originally Posted by homer

Well to be honest on the Toyota system it's rare for sensors to go bad. But there are always 4 sensors, so unless it's a pole or something, the next one over would pick it up. And typically when I have seen them go bad, it is one that constantly beeps, not a dead one that won't work at all. Maybe there is a failsafe built into the brain or something in case it sees a change in resistance. Never looked that far into it

hehehe everyone here won't like this, but it's a Toyota LOL. I agree, they're pretty good! If the price tag wasn't so high, I would consider one . My sister bought a Tacoma which I installed a remote starter into, very nice vehicle! Besides that though, even two sensors have a fairly wide degree covered... I'm sure Toyota (and maybe others) have found ways around this. I.e. if two sensors fail on a side, then disable, etc... I'm not too familiar with their programming either to be honest. As for the Ford's though, I have seen a few failed, and much of the time it's broken wires at the connectors (usually the outers - due to snow tugging on the wire from buildup, etc). I don't think the Ford ones are setup the best honestly... I've added much protection since. I think the actual sensor doesn't fail as often.

Last edited by homer; 03-15-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Backup sensor stays on