Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:53 PM
GeorgeG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera

I just bought a used 2006 Ford F150 XLT. I wanted to add an aftermarket backup camera on it. I was either going to put in a new aftermarket head unit with the OEM tailgate camera or a rearview mirror with LCD screen (backup display) and the OEM tailgate camera. Any suggestions which one is better? Reasons why?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed an aftermarket camera, it bolts up with the licence plate it includes UV lights for night time usage. It works good, the only thing is I know on my sisters Honda there are lines that indicate different amount of space between you and objects behind. This is handy for those times where you can't tell how far something is from you even with the rear camera it can still be somewhat of a guessing game. So if the factory Ford setup has those lines I say go for OEM, if not then aftermarket units will be the same.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:04 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by clevelandboxers
I just bought a used 2006 Ford F150 XLT. I wanted to add an aftermarket backup camera on it. I was either going to put in a new aftermarket head unit with the OEM tailgate camera or a rearview mirror with LCD screen (backup display) and the OEM tailgate camera. Any suggestions which one is better? Reasons why?
We have a kit that uses an OEM mirror and tailgate emblem, which will work great on your 2006. Keep in mind that if you go with the emblem model that you will likely have to do some drilling to get the camera to pass through the surface of the tailgate. It's not too scary though because we include a drill template and as long as you stay within the lines everything will look just like it was installed at the factory.

We also stock a handle based camera kit but the image quality of the emblem model is nicer, plus the emblem has the distance guidelines like was mentioned above. Here's the link to the emblem with mirror:

https://camera-source.com/products/f...2006F150camera

Thanks and don't forget about coupon code 'f150forum'.

Call anytime to ask questions!
camera-source.com
888-844-9763
Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

I've done it through my Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS deck... Automatically switches to camera on when I go into reverse. I think it's personal preference however I find the mirror reverse camera confusing (maybe it's a matter of getting used to it). I use my mirrors when backing up but I'll look at the camera on the deck when I get close or hooking up a trailer.

In general, I'm glad I added it!!

Quick Reply: Backup Camera