Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Back up sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up sensors

I am new and this May have been discussed but I am having problems with my backup sensors. This switch on the dash acts like there is no power to it. Sensors do not work.

2005 F150 SuperCrew
Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Have you checked all your fuses? Also, the dash panel pulls off easy so you can check to see if it got disconnected somehow.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Check the fuses but does your switch do nothing at all, or does orange light come on approx. 4 seconds after going into reverse? If it's disabling after 4 seconds, it can't read a sensor (I can explain after how to check that)... if it's dead (no lighting at all) then like Corey_lax wrote, check the fuse. I don't think the PAM fails entirely that often but I have heard of it happening once or twice.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 AM

Gentlemen, thank you for your response. I was mistaken, The back light does work on the switch but nothing else. Checked fuses 14, 18 and 28 as I read on line somewhere.
Also check checked visible wiring at the sensors themselves.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 AM

Ok, the light works on the dash but what happens? When you press it the button does it go on and off? Or.... After being in reverse for 4 seconds, does the light turn on and stay on (i.e. System disabled and cannot be enabled again - pressing button does nothing)?

If the light turns on after 4-5 seconds of being in reverse, that means it can't talk to one or more sensors. In that case, shut the engine off, turn the ignition to ON, place the ebrake on and put the transmission into reverse. Walk to the back of the truck and listen to each sensor. They should make a "tapping" noise. If one or more don't, those are the dead sensors. In my experience, it's usually mostly due to broken wires (especially if snow buildup hangs off of the wiring).

If you have one dead sensor, do the easy part first... Keep the truck in reverse, wiggle the wire a bit. The system wants to see 4-5 seconds of a good signal before it'll re-activate again so if you keep wigging the wire it may not tell you if it's a broken wire or not. Usually what I do now is I disconnect two sensors and swap them. If the same one is still not tapping, you know it's a broken wire rather than a dead sensor.

Again, this all depends on what the wire is doing. It could be as simple as the speaker being dead on the PAM (I know it's rare but I've heard of it).
Old 03-11-2014, 11:11 AM

When I turn lights on the symbol lights up but nothing else. The off light goes not come on. While in reverse I have pressed the switch to no avail. I started there because the off light does not come on. And I will check sensors. I thought it may be the switch.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Sounds like you're talking about the green illumination light when you turn your headlight switch to park or headlights? If so, that's 100% separate. Since you mentioned the OFF light (yellow/amber) doesn't come on, then I'd say your PAM isn't getting power (blown fuse, something broken), or your PAM module is shot. I was going to suggest check your reverse lights however you can still disable the reverse sensors even when in park or any other transmission selection. If that light isn't coming on at all, it's between the fuses and the PAM module to me.
The following users liked this post:
Timhurst (03-12-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 12:37 PM

Homer, Thank you so much for your help. I found the problem. Somehow my PAM got disconnected but all is fine now.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:08 PM

That's great to hear!!

Personally, I can't live without my reverse sensing system! I love it!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Goombah Stomper

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Woo! Now I know how to check my sensors. My sensors have been out for about 2 years now, just havent gotten around to checking them. But I figured one is out, but now I can find out for sure since it disables itself when I shift into reverse. It doesnt take 4 seconds, it does it immediately.

Quick Reply: Back up sensors