Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Back up camera issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Back up camera issues

let me start off by I just bought this truck friday.

I have a pioneer AVH-X4500BT dvd player this things is GREAT

the guy I bought it from has a backup camera installed okay well, he said I'd have to mess with it to get it to work so I did just that heres the issue...

In the dvd player options I have a option called "camera polarity" options are "OFF" "Ground" "Battery" I tried setting that to battery, then on the dvd player there is a option for "REAR VIEW" "ON/OFF" so I turn it on and the backup camera works.... Now when I put it in park I get the black screen with "CAUTION Screen image may appear reversed" and it wont go away. I can tap the screen and it goes back to normal only for 3 seconds then it does the msg again.

Any ideas?

I have no idea how it's hooked up or where to begin...

Last edited by grss429; 03-22-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

IMO, you you need to talk to someone at Pioneer.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by jkenprice1
IMO, you you need to talk to someone at Pioneer.
I will call them tomorrow as well. but i figured someone has had this issue before
Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

Ya don't know til you ask
Old 03-22-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by grss429
I will call them tomorrow as well. but i figured someone has had this issue before
You should have a trigger wire and video input wire coming to the deck from the camera.. Pull the deck and check them out. The trigger wire should be coming from your reverse light wire..

You might want to start looking at how the camera is powered if it's an aftermarket camera.. Then check where the wires go from the bottom of the tailgate. They may be spliced into the 7 pin trailer harness..
Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86
You should have a trigger wire and video input wire coming to the deck from the camera.. Pull the deck and check them out. The trigger wire should be coming from your reverse light wire..

You might want to start looking at how the camera is powered if it's an aftermarket camera.. Then check where the wires go from the bottom of the tailgate. They may be spliced into the 7 pin trailer harness..
This ^^^

Many folks wire a backup camera so they can turn the screen on whenever they want (i.e. when pulling a large trailer and they want to occasionally monitor it); for this, they wire the backup camera to a 'hot always' lead from a 7 pin trailer harness, used for trailers with electric brake requirements. If you have the 4 oin only, then trace where the cameras power lead is wired to.

Or, the camera is wired to turn on when the vehicle is placed in reverse only (sounds like you want this option?). If you only wish to have the backup camera on when you are in reverse, then you want the camera to be powered off of the reverse lights (remove one of your rear taillights, and splice the camera's power lead to the reverse bulbs lead wire, and ground the camera's ground lead). The camera will only power on whenever the vehicle is in reverse.

The head units' 'trigger wire' also would need to be connected to the reverse wire. This informs the head units screen to switch on whenever it detects the vehicle is in reverse. This wire lead can be found in the drivers side door sill; remove the drivers door sill plastic cover, and locate the reverse wire in the large bundle of wires; for most, its a black wire with a pink strip I think.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-23-2015 at 05:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HulluCorn (03-25-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

On my unit, a similar pioneer to yours, when the trigger wire on the headunit was not connected to anything, the camera would continue popping up as you described. I would, as the others have stated, begin by checking the wiring. Likely will solve your problem.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 PM

Fixed it! pulled the tail light out to find out there was a wire just chilling there , it runs to the front of the truck assuming its "trigger wire" made it a little longer and BOOM
Old 03-24-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Hmm must be a good camera, i just ordered one its just a RCA in with the power you tap into the reverse lights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At least thats all i know to do
Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good information here.

I plan on installing a camera in the near future.

Quick Reply: Back up camera issues