Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Avh2400bt and a backup cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avh2400bt and a backup cam

I have done tons of searching, and can not pin point my exact issue. I have a 04 scab with a Pioneer AVH2400bt. I added a backup camera (following this thread https://www.f150forum.com/f4/afterma...handle-163504/).
Issue is, the headunit will randomly go to the "CAUTION Screen image may appear reversed", but no camera comes up, just a black screen (because the cam has no power). This happens when im in drive or even just sitting in park. I have it wired this way:
- Power to camera and reverse wire spliced together to the black and pink reverse light wire at the rear of the truck.
- Grounded in the rear
- Reverse wire spliced to reverse signal wire on back of headunit.
- RCA cable plugged in.

The camera works fine when i go into reverse (besides the image coming from the bottom left of the screen instead of from the bottom).
I have tried the camera polarity settings. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm assuming you have a touch screen. Try to tap the screen where it says "radio". You should have a list of options come up such as iPod aux cd ect. On the top of the screen you will see a camera with a picture of a car. Tap that and then exit back to the main screen. Try reverse and see if it automatically picks it up. Sounds like you've got the radio always looking for the camera. May work may not.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts

make sure it is on video not on audio, it is an option in the top middle, hope it helps
Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this same issue with my AVH-4500BT. The issue is that your reverse wire lead is sending .01 volts to the radio intermittently. I am going to install a resistor into mine soon and see what happens, hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ericgivens
I'm assuming you have a touch screen. Try to tap the screen where it says "radio". You should have a list of options come up such as iPod aux cd ect. On the top of the screen you will see a camera with a picture of a car. Tap that and then exit back to the main screen. Try reverse and see if it automatically picks it up. Sounds like you've got the radio always looking for the camera. May work may not.
I dont have this option, but it looks like my options are all set
Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Black FX2
make sure it is on video not on audio, it is an option in the top middle, hope it helps
Dont see this option. What do you mean by the top middle?

Originally Posted by CKing
I have this same issue with my AVH-4500BT. The issue is that your reverse wire lead is sending .01 volts to the radio intermittently. I am going to install a resistor into mine soon and see what happens, hope this helps.
Awesome. Let me know if this works, hope it does. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got the 4200dvd non Bluetooth. However if you see where I'm pointing if I touch that it tells the radio to look for the camera at all times. When it's "off" the radio gets the signal from going in reverse and automatically turns the screen to camera mode. At least on mine.
Attached Thumbnails Avh2400bt and a backup cam-image-1196288254.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was incorrect. 1. Read the directions in the book, I didn't as had the video plugged into AV, not RC.in. 2. Make sure the Rear View option is OFF. Pointing to it in the picture. Mine now works flawlessly.
Attached Thumbnails Avh2400bt and a backup cam-image-2068407442.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely sounds like you have some sort of electrical feedback going into your reverse wire, but its not enough power to turn the camera on. When it does it, check your backup lights, see if they are on. You may have shorted power to them.

Also, did you keep that plastic box on the end of the reverse wire that goes to the head unit, our did you cut it off. I have a Sony head unit, by I hooked it up about the same as you, from what I understand, that box is to prevent feedback. I think it has a diode in it.... Just a thought

Last edited by jmoon4; 04-09-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ericgivens
I've got the 4200dvd non Bluetooth. However if you see where I'm pointing if I touch that it tells the radio to look for the camera at all times. When it's "off" the radio gets the signal from going in reverse and automatically turns the screen to camera mode. At least on mine.
Ill go double check this now, but i believe if i set it to off, it does not work at all.

Originally Posted by CKing
I was incorrect. 1. Read the directions in the book, I didn't as had the video plugged into AV, not RC.in. 2. Make sure the Rear View option is OFF. Pointing to it in the picture. Mine now works flawlessly.
I will check the input, and also check the OFF option as you and ericgivens suggested.

Originally Posted by jmoon4
Definitely sounds like you have some sort of electrical feedback going into your reverse wire, but its not enough power to turn the camera on. When it does it, check your backup lights, see if they are on. You may have shorted power to them.

Also, did you keep that plastic box on the end of the reverse wire that goes to the head unit, our did you cut it off. I have a Sony head unit, by I hooked it up about the same as you, from what I understand, that box is to prevent feedback. I think it has a diode in it.... Just a thought
I didnt have any plastic box on the end of mine. It is just a wire coming from the headunit. It was already stripped, but spliced the power wire from the pink/black reverse into it. Reverse lights are also working fine.

Quick Reply: Avh2400bt and a backup cam