Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Autometer Tach Adapter

Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer Tach Adapter

For anyone interested in puting an aftermarket tach in their truck, just a tack will not work, we have the COP ignition system and have no designated tach signal wire. I bought an autometer tach adapter for my truck and had a little trouble with the wiring diagram. the directions would have you belive that you can tie into the 12v power wire on any coil. this is not exactly how it works. you have to tie into the main coil power wire which is in the first plug to the left of your ecm. the wire is red/green. with the tach adapter you have to cut the wire from the ecm and have the red wire from the tach adapter go to the part of the wire that goes to the ecm. the red/green wire from the tach will attach to the remaining red/green wire that goes out to the coils. it took me all day to figure it out but it finally works.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Good information. A pitcure of the connection might help, and then I'd suggest we add this to the "sticky" link.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought about the pic thing, but i have already taped and closed everything up. Its way to cold to be outside opening it all back up again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autometer Tach Adapter