Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Auto Dim rear view not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 02:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Auto Dim rear view not working

I have a 2007 FX4. I bought it this past summer. When I first had it, the auto dim rear view seemed to work fine. Then at some point it stopped working. Of course the owners manual says nothing other than what it obviously does. I notice under the mounting stem where the wires go into, is a small flat box. On the top side of that box is a button but it doesn't seem to do anything. Note the button is not on the front of the mirror. It is not readily visible or marked. It is behind/underneath the actual mirror. The face of my mirror only has two sensors. Is there a common thing to look for to resolve this? Fuse? Batteries? The button? Black magic? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:57 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Is there a wiring connector that plugs into the mirror? If this auto diming mirror requires a 12v source to operate, I'd unplug it and see if I have power to the plug first. Could be a fuse, but I doubt Ford would give a power mirror its own seperate fuse; other items would also be failing.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Is there a wiring connector that plugs into the mirror? If this auto diming mirror requires a 12v source to operate, I'd unplug it and see if I have power to the plug first. Could be a fuse, but I doubt Ford would give a power mirror its own seperate fuse; other items would also be failing.
Yes, there is a wire connector. I did check to make sure it was connected. I guess I'll have to test it for power. Electronics is not my forte. Multimeter and adapt leads somehow to accommodate the tiny contacts on connector?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'll use a small pin to insert into a connector too small for a test light or volt/ohm meter; then touch the test lamp/volt ohm meters probe to the small pin.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

The box under the mirror is for the compass. Is your compass working?
Old 05-02-2015, 11:36 PM

Bump to this post and additional info. I tested the connection it is reading solid 12v. So there is power to the thing. Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Auto Dim rear view not working