Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anyones 5.4l make a ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Anyones 5.4l make a ticking noise

Noticed a ticking noise from the motor. Always had mustangs so I dont know if this is normal. Is not an exhaust leak or a misthreaded spark plug, I know those noises. Scanned truck is SCT tuner and no codes are show up so diagnosticly everything seams ok but its still wierd. Any help or experience with this.

2008 5.4l flexfuel Screw. 30,000 miles.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

probably cam phasers. do a search and you will find infinite amounts of info on them.. im not familiar with the 08 flexfuels, but i reckon they are the same as mine, an 06... to a point, this ticking is normal. also there is a sticky that has links to cam phaser threads. its labeled Stop! Before you post Read this! Common useful links!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ol_blue
probably cam phasers. do a search and you will find infinite amounts of info on them.. im not familiar with the 08 flexfuels, but i reckon they are the same as mine, an 06... to a point, this ticking is normal. also there is a sticky that has links to cam phaser threads. its labeled Stop! Before you post Read this! Common useful links!

Yep just a normal noise. Thanks bro!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

injectors.... mine does it too, sooo annoying in the summer with the windows down esp driving next to a wall or building.... id pay anything to buy quiet injectors
Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

its like we are in a paradox where the same threads are repeated over and over.

there are about 10 dif things that tick and rattle, injectors, lash limiters, tensioner,phasers, and my fav new thing to fix racket... the vct solenoid(often mistaken for bad phasers)

try running a good cleaning oil like Pennzoil Ultra and see what happens
Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by jamesyarbrough
its like we are in a paradox where the same threads are repeated over and over.

there are about 10 dif things that tick and rattle, injectors, lash limiters, tensioner,phasers, and my fav new thing to fix racket... the vct solenoid(often mistaken for bad phasers)

try running a good cleaning oil like Pennzoil Ultra and see what happens
The paradox is that people need help and have questions but some people just want to be jerks. Just dont answer if you dont want but I didnt ask for your extra 2 cents worth of comments. As a senior member you should know better. On my mustang forum(which is what I know:4.6 4v motors) I would never say some smart *ss stuff to someone that needed my help.

I already stated that its a normal noise.
==> http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...v_engines.aspx

All 5.4l 3v make a ticking noise for the injectors. Now I know.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cam phasers won't make much noise until the engine is warmed up. When it is cold if sounds fine and you can just hear the injectors firing. Once up to temperature it won't sound too good I got mine fixed under warranty luckily. The noise might be coming back tho not sure.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

These engines rattle, tick, and shake as if they were built in China. There is the occassional tensioner rattle at cold start, there is the cam phaser clickity clack at operating temperature, the heavy duty injector tick, and the can tap which is what you're probably referring to. That tapping at least in my truck is louder if you stick your head under the truck and usually goes away after it warms up. Funny thing is it sounds like a stuck lifter, unfortunately our trucks dont have lifters. Don't know what causes it but I can tell you its common. I have an 04 with 80K
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Embrace the tick!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by torqgasm
Embrace the tick!!!
No!! Ha I WANT QUIET INJECTORS!

Quick Reply: Anyones 5.4l make a ticking noise