Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anyone try this 5.4 heavy duty engine before?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone try this 5.4 heavy duty engine before?

Just wondering if anyone has tried out this engine from powertrain.com A heavy duty engine

Heavy Duty Engine: $3,699.00 . in stock / 0 miles / All OEM parts / comes with an oil pan , timing cover , valve covers , cam phasers , spark plugs , and a full gasket kit. Also Comes with a High Volume oil pump / Oversized Crank Shaft / Graphite Coated Pistons / and Moly Rings.

I purchased this to replace my engine in hopes that I can get another 200k out of my truck.. If not more.

If you have used this engine how did you like it compared to standard vs heavy duty?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I figured the 5.4 that came with the truck was already heavy duty... what's the point of these upgrades? If you get more pulling power, cool, but what about the rest of the truck? Do you intend to turn the truck into an F450, including upgraded transmission and suspension, so the engine can actually use the extra strength? Seems like a pointless way to spend money to me.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua Lanzerio
Just wondering if anyone has tried out this engine from powertrain.com A heavy duty engine

Heavy Duty Engine: $3,699.00 . in stock / 0 miles / All OEM parts / comes with an oil pan , timing cover , valve covers , cam phasers , spark plugs , and a full gasket kit. Also Comes with a High Volume oil pump / Oversized Crank Shaft / Graphite Coated Pistons / and Moly Rings.

I purchased this to replace my engine in hopes that I can get another 200k out of my truck.. If not more.

If you have used this engine how did you like it compared to standard vs heavy duty?
Maybe a direct link to the engine your describing would help..
I ordered my new engine from AER (fords remanufactured engine supplier).. I think it was through powertrain direct through Fraser engines.. The resellers name is Ron..

The tighter cam journal tolerances are spec'ed in this engine, but I can tell you that it came with dorman cam phasers even though it was listed as being completely oem. I'm at around 3k miles on this motor and running strong, zero ticking, and great power.. I've got my whipple supercharger bolted on to it and I'm definitely making more power than my 04 build date engine. All in all I'm very happy with this engine..
It came with everything but the valve covers and I replaced everything that's bolted on to it with factory parts (water and PS pump) and JBA short tube headers and a new oem starter.
I'm still using my older replacement alternator and original AC compressor.
It came with all gaskets, and crappy dorman vct solenoids (I used my revised OEMS).

Last edited by Especial86; 02-08-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LaMartian
I figured the 5.4 that came with the truck was already heavy duty... what's the point of these upgrades? If you get more pulling power, cool, but what about the rest of the truck? Do you intend to turn the truck into an F450, including upgraded transmission and suspension, so the engine can actually use the extra strength? Seems like a pointless way to spend money to me.
Lol what? The 5.4 is in no way heavy duty. From the OP's description, it sounds like this "heavy duty" option is trying to correct OEM issues (namely the oil pump).
Old 02-08-2016, 10:53 AM

No Heavy duty was labeled as it came with a few upgraded parts to help with longevity..

i ASKED my mechanic and another guy on the forum recommended the heavy duty vs the other one.

I purchased it from these folks at http://www.powertraindirect.com/

My options were :

Dressed Longblock: $3,199.00 / in stock / 0 miles / All OEM Parts / comes with an oil pan , timing cover , valve covers , cam phasers , spark plugs , and a full gasket kit.

I bought the heavy duty engine, as it seem like for 400 dollars more I can get better life out of my engine. I was not sure about High Volume pump, however I figured the guys at powertrain know what they are doing.

Yes this engine came through Fraser engines, I noticed that on the invoice.

Anyways I just thought I get input see what folks though about it, I am using this truck in Texas for First Emergency Responder, so I will need something that can handle lots of miles and not crap out on me.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by dyeguy1212
Lol what? The 5.4 is in no way heavy duty. From the OP's description, it sounds like this "heavy duty" option is trying to correct OEM issues (namely the oil pump).
It's heavy duty for the truck it was put into, and it's used all the way up to the F350s. So yes, it's very heavy duty. There are design flaws that have been corrected, but design flaws do not automatically make an engine light duty. It just means a part needed to be redesigned in order to be used for its intended application.
The following users liked this post:
77Ranger460 (07-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 AM

Sorry I could not find a direct link to my engine on the site. All that was given to me info wise was copy and pasted and linked on here.

That is why I wanted more input from actual users, then a salesman just to make sure all ends are covered.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by LaMartian
It's heavy duty for the truck it was put into, and it's used all the way up to the F350s. So yes, it's very heavy duty. There are design flaws that have been corrected, but design flaws do not automatically make an engine light duty. It just means a part needed to be redesigned in order to be used for its intended application.
This is correct. The sole fact that these engines run 200+k miles is a testament to their durability. Not to say that there aren't any flaws. My buddy has gone through 4 350 chevy engines in the last 10 years. And we all know how everyone says 350's are the best out there....Unless you're a Ford guy
Old 02-08-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

No Heavy duty was labeled as it came with a few upgraded parts to help with longevity..

i ASKED my mechanic and another guy on the forum recommended the heavy duty vs the other one.

I purchased it from these folks at http://www.powertraindirect.com/

My options were :

Dressed Longblock: $3,199.00 / in stock / 0 miles / All OEM Parts / comes with an oil pan , timing cover , valve covers , cam phasers , spark plugs , and a full gasket kit.

I bought the heavy duty engine, as it seem like for 400 dollars more I can get better life out of my engine. I was not sure about High Volume pump, however I figured the guys at powertrain know what they are doing.

Yes this engine came through Fraser engines, I noticed that on the invoice.

Anyways I just thought I get input see what folks though about it, I am using this truck in Texas for First Emergency Responder, so I will need something that can handle lots of miles and not crap out on me.
Heavy duty components highlighted in bold.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I could not find a direct link to my engine on the site. All that was given to me info wise was copy and pasted and linked on here.

That is why I wanted more input from actual users, then a salesman just to make sure all ends are covered.
how many miles do you have on the engine now?

Quick Reply: Anyone try this 5.4 heavy duty engine before?