Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anyone solve the infamous squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone solve the infamous squeak?

Ive seen plenty of threads regarding this...but absolutely none with an answer SO....

Has ANYONE figured out the weird creak/squeak from the front and or rear suspension going over speed bumps? Ive yet to get a diagnostics because it seems as though every mechanic says that the trucks are "fine" and they cant find the issue (regarding to the people on these forums)

So when I go over speed bumps, my truck basically bottoms out (I guess thats the best way of putting it) BUT if my shocks are shot wouldnt that mean the truck would bounce? cause it actually has NO play at all when going over the bump...and I hear the creak/squeak on both rear and front.

If anyone has any solid advice please let me know, Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

I would replace your shocks if you bottom out over a speed bump....check your front coil springs ...sometimes they break...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM

OH I also forgot to mention that I had 35's on my truck that were rubbing so I went down to 33's, I think from the 35's rub it shifted my upper control arm a little bit to where its touching the spring (on the left side of the truck) but the right side is fine its not touching.........maybe the UCA is keeping the spring from compressing therefore it seems as if its bottoming out....? if that makes sense..
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

The lower bushing on my strut was completely blown out on my truck. Replaced with Monroe and good to go now.
The following users liked this post:
Gynieves (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM

you had the same symptoms over speed bumps?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If it's a squeak when yu hit a bump of anysort probably a bad strut. If its bottoming out a combonation of both spring and strut. If the 35" tires pushed the control arms over you may need new control arm bushings.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gynieves
you had the same symptoms over speed bumps?
Yes it started out at speed bumps. Then got worse and was squeaking on the little of bumps. The bushing was destroyed. Turn your wheels and inspect the lower bushing of the strut. Mine was very obviously disintegrated. Plus if you have the original struts, it would probably be a good time to replace them anyways. My truck rides much better with the monroes and they are a complete package so no strut compressor needed.

I also had a squeak coming from the tailgate. I just filled the hinges with bearing grease and solved that.
The following users liked this post:
Gynieves (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM

Unfortunately I dont know how to inspect any of that cause i dont know what it looks like...would you please send me a link to the shocks/struts you installed?? thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM

I bought my quick-struts from Rock Auto --> http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...610&cc=1432394

I think it was like $115 Canadian per strut. If you don't know how to determine if a bushing is bad, I suggest you get some help for installing them or have a shop do them. Like I said earlier, my bushing was completely blown out. The driver side was fine and in "ok" shape but the passenger side was completely crushed. If you look at it, it may be very obvious that the rubber bushing is cracked which basically allows the bottom attachment of the strut to float around the bolt.

Quick Reply: Anyone solve the infamous squeak?