Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anyone with rear axle info?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM
@jverderber1

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Anyone with rear axle info?

So I have been having slight problems lately while driving. It feels as if out of nowhere my truck goes into neutral and I have no acceleration. I took off my diff cover to take a look but the ring and pinion are fine and so is my limited slip. The rive shaft turns when in gear and it turns the gears and that turns the diff carrier but my truck wont move or it barely moves. I wanna say its the axle shafts cus that would be the only part I havent checked. Im going to slide them out now but should I start looking into a new complete rear axle or just get new axle shafts. Any help would be great. Truck has over 100000 miles on it.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 PM
@jverderber1

also does anyone know the length of my axle shafts in case I need to order new ones? Truck specs are in my sig. Thanks

Turns out its my axle shaft. While in park, one tire remains locked while the passenger tires spins freely.

Last edited by SickF1fifty; 08-02-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Loss

Ford should have the specs on axels if you need one.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 PM
@jverderber1

Ok I got everything back together now but im running into a problem with my passenger caliper. It is stuck shut. I cant get it back open so I can put my axle shaft back in and mount the caliper back on the rotor. What should I do?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Something

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using a c-clamp or something to push the caliper back open? Sounds like a bad caliper. Could that be the reason why your axle shaft was not moving? I don't know much about servicing differentials and axle shafts, but this sounds weird, that one would turn and the other side would not. Broken gears or something?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:28 PM
@jverderber1

Originally Posted by xJimbos
Are you using a c-clamp or something to push the caliper back open? Sounds like a bad caliper. Could that be the reason why your axle shaft was not moving? I don't know much about servicing differentials and axle shafts, but this sounds weird, that one would turn and the other side would not. Broken gears or something?
I have no idea y that would happen either but I took it all apart and now im almost back together im just stuck on this caliper. The problem is its still closed so I cant fit a C clamp in there to get it closed. I looked at my ring and pinion and it looks fine. even my limited slip looks good. im clueless.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like it ceased. I assume you have the cap off for the brake fluid to "exhale" as you depress the piston, right? Take a pic of that caliper and post it up.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Something

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to sound reckless but if you can fit a long piece of wood in there and situate the caliper in a certain way then you might be able to step on the piece of wood and use your body weight to push the pistons back down. I've been able to push those pistons in without removing the brake line, but those were the front calipers so maybe the rear ones are different.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 PM
@jverderber1

alright here is where im at now. I got the caliper apart and back on the hub except now im getting a little bit of play on both sides on the axle. It seems the calipers slide up and down the assembly. I know they are suppose to be locked in place and not sliding around. My tires on both side move about an inch in and out. idk whats going on here. any ideas guys?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
@jverderber1

Ok here are some pics I took.

The caliper is mounted on the hub on some kind of track. So the caliper slides back and forth which causes my rear axle shaft to slide out of place and then my truck doesnt move. I havent even touched the driver side but now all of a sudden it moves around too. It making me think its my diff carrier but idk???????????

Quick Reply: Anyone with rear axle info?