Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anyone have this experience with a repair shop?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have this experience with a repair shop?

I just got my truck back from what I'm gonna call a service fiasco by an unscrupulous shop...
I do all my own repairs but a torn rotator in my shoulder has me depending on a shop. About a year ago we had the plugs changed. The mech didn't torque them down properly so I was getting exhaust/gas smell in the cab and truck stated running on 7. Got error code not firing on #8...
I went for my Special plug tool, pulled the coil which was sooty and went to pull the plug but it was half backed out of the hole.
I looked at the plug and to my surprise the center electrode was GONE!
I went to the parts store bought a plug right at closing time and installed the new plug. I was unable to counter the wrench when I torqued it because I only have use of one arm. I thought I heard the slight "crack" noise when giving it the final torque and sure enough when I reassembled it #8 was still missing. Just to make sure I switched the neighboring coil with it and 8 was still not firing.
I knew I would have the same results if I tried it again so we took it in to a small shop in town that could take it right away and seemed pretty straight up...
Went in and asked them to replace the plugs and that I was sure #8 would need replacing.
They called my wife while I was at work and said it needed a new computer so for some reason she made the call and said yes...
Got the truck back after 4 days and after driving it 2 miles same problems with missing and stinky gas smell in the cab. I asked if they changed plugs and they said they've had some bad experiences with that in the 3 valve fords and they didn't want to do it....(WTF I WAS FURIOUS) and told them I just brought it in to have the plugs changed...
We rescheduled a service where they now changed the plugs. It runs perfectly and no more gas smell...I was charged 1900 the first service including the new computer, then 444 additional for the spark plug change out.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to logically say it was the plugs all along....I insisted he give me the faulty computer on the first receipt of the truck. He was not happy to give it to me but I flatly insisted...
Here's my questions...:I would like to install the original computer and insist he refund me the original computer cost including installation.
Can the computer be bench tested?
Can we swap them out or as I understand does it need to be flashed?
Do I need a ford dealer?
Does it entail new keys with chip for the anti theft?
I need to get my 1900 back from this joker...

Last edited by neuxstone; 07-21-2016 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Unclear statement
Old 07-21-2016, 08:10 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Gezzz...
Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Is that "l don't know" in hipster language?
Old 07-21-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Why didn't you replace the spark plug yourself when you heard the crack?

What do you mean you would have gotten the same results?
Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by connorfx4
Why didn't you replace the spark plug yourself when you heard the crack?

What do you mean you would have gotten the same results?
He only had the use of one arm and could not brace the head of the torque wrench with the other arm. So the 'angled' pressure cracked the spark plug.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by EBC-150
He only had the use of one arm and could not brace the head of the torque wrench with the other arm. So the 'angled' pressure cracked the spark plug.
I'm not gonna lie. Some how I managed to not read that sentence.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by neuxstone
Is that "l don't know" in hipster language?
That's I can't believe you rolled out of that shop without what you requested and then paid for a new computer... I know the wife made the call on the ECU but, I would of at least made them show me why I needed $1900 in ECU work.
The following users liked this post:
connorfx4 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 01:20 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I hate to say it....idk how you're going to get your money back. The dealership will probably be the only one to help you on the compooter
Old 07-21-2016, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SCORGE
I hate to say it....idk how you're going to get your money back. The dealership will probably be the only one to help you on the compooter
Understood however you are thinking that the ford dealership pulled this on me.
It's a small repair shop who apparently bought the computer from the local Ford dealership (to my understanding).
My thinking is to reinstall the original computer in the truck and take the purchased one back to the shop that misdiagnosed it.
There are laws that protect consumers as well as the garages and this is the only way I can prove there was nothing wrong with mine.
I don't know what everyone else does for a living but I have a physical job and work hard for my money. $1900 is a huge expenditure in my income bracket...
Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

The problem is nobody, dealer or local shop, is going to take back an ECM (or any other electric component) that has been installed. Hate to say it, but the wife hooped the pooch here. You're just gonna have to take your licks and move on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have this experience with a repair shop?