Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anyone else having several little issues with their 4.2L V6 truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Anyone else having several little issues with their 4.2L V6 truck?

So, I'm nearing the 3 year mark with my 08 F-150 XL 4.2L (see sig for all the details), which currently has just under 44k on it. The first 2.5 years and roughly 36,000 miles were virtually problem free; I had an issue with a seat, and one of the body seams on the cab had to be resealed, but that was it. I've taken very good care of this truck, religious oil changes every 8k with synthetic 5w20 (and I change the filter very 4k), keep it clean, fluids and what not all checked regularly and maintained. The only 'performance' mods are a catback exhaust and 3.55 gears with a Tru Trac diff. I use the truck as a truck, haul and tow with it relatively regularly, but it's usually fairly light loads and I don't abuse it.

Anyway, as the title implies, I've had a number of 'small' issues over the last 6 months or so. First, in Dec, I noticed that the temperature control was not functioning properly and the fan seemed to be making noise. Took it in just before 36,000 miles and they ended up replacing the HVAC blower and temperature control module.
Then, back in February, I changed the oil and noticed a small oil leak. I wasn't seeing noticable drops in oil level, so I didn't take it in immediately (I have the Premium extended warranty to 72k, thank god); after a few weeks, I started to hear some ticking on cold start-up, so I took it in and they found the seal on the oil pump discharge was leaking (runs outside the oil pan? Dunno, I thought that was odd, but the leak has stopped), so they replaced it. At first, they told me that the ticking was due to dirty oil, but the oil had less than 4k miles on it, so they just changed the oil and told me to 'keep an eye on it'. The ticking has stopped, for now. However, I changed the oil filter a couple weeks ago, and I'm not happy with the oil that I poured out of the filter; with less than 3k miles since Ford changed it, the oil appears fairly dirty and awfully thin. I'll be changing it soon, and am considering switching to 5w30.
And now, the F-150 is at Ford again, this time getting the coil pack replaced. About a month ago, I started to notice that it was running slightly rough when it was cold started during a rainy day; it would stumble a bit at low RPM, but would clear up within a couple minutes. Figures I had a failing plug wire, so was just going to replace them, but then, last weekend, I started it up and it was running like absolute crap, felt like it was missing on 2 cylinders, threw a CEL, so I took it to Ford. Apparently the coil pack went bad, must be a broken seal somewhere and moisture was getting in.

So, now that I've written a book, is anyone else experiencing similar, or other, 'small' issues with their basic 04-08 4.2L? I love this truck (aside from the MPG right now), and for now I'm okay because I've got the extended warranty (still have to spend 100 bucks everytime I have to take it in), but these frequent small issues aren't giving me a warm & fuzzy feeling about the truck after it passes 72k miles. Guess I'll just have to see how the next 28k miles go, which at my current pace of commuting 140 miles a day, is gonna go pretty quick, lol. I'd like to drive this truck well beyond 100k miles, but maybe this will be an excuse to get one that's more fuel efficient, though I'd really like to not have a payment, haha.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by nagata; 05-02-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Title revision
Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

where do you get your oil changed? at the dealership? I assume so if you have a warranty... But then you mentioned you may be changing the type of oil to 5w-30? On the subject of coil pack failure... i've heard they have issues when they get wet... maybe you can do a little research on this forum site and get some good sound advice...

Personally if i had a commute like you have, i'd get a cheap motorcycle or car to do that deed....
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

I change my own oil, and use a log and receipts to track it and as proof. The extended warranty is through Ford.

I'm considering switching to 5w30 so that I'm running a thicker oil that should provide better lubrication and protection. The 4.2L is an old-school engine, I seriously doubt that the tolerances are tight enough to require 5w20.

Yeah, the coil pack was clearly getting wet, but my question is what happened that allowed water to get in? The truck doesn't go mudding or off-roading, the only off-road it sees is mild, I don't go plowing through standing water...must've just been a bad seal from the factory, hopefully the new one lasts longer.

The commute is supposed to be temporary, lol. I've got a 2003 Yamaha YZF600 that I'm riding to work as much as I can, but I often have to haul more stuff than I can carry on the bike, and the near-constant heavy rains haven't helped either. I'll ride in the rain, but the really heavy stuff we've been getting makes it dangerous to ride on the highway during the rain, so I've been avoiding that. Hopefully the weather improves and I can ride more.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by nagata
I change my own oil, and use a log and receipts to track it and as proof. The extended warranty is through Ford.

I'm considering switching to 5w30 so that I'm running a thicker oil that should provide better lubrication and protection. The 4.2L is an old-school engine, I seriously doubt that the tolerances are tight enough to require 5w20.

Yeah, the coil pack was clearly getting wet, but my question is what happened that allowed water to get in? The truck doesn't go mudding or off-roading, the only off-road it sees is mild, I don't go plowing through standing water...must've just been a bad seal from the factory, hopefully the new one lasts longer.

The commute is supposed to be temporary, lol. I've got a 2003 Yamaha YZF600 that I'm riding to work as much as I can, but I often have to haul more stuff than I can carry on the bike, and the near-constant heavy rains haven't helped either. I'll ride in the rain, but the really heavy stuff we've been getting makes it dangerous to ride on the highway during the rain, so I've been avoiding that. Hopefully the weather improves and I can ride more.
Your right about the 4.2L its an old engine, but a proven one... If you are putting in the suggested type oil, then leaks because of oil shouldn't be an issue.... i've only heard of oil finding spots to leak when 1. its an old motor or 2. your using a full synthetic oil in an old engine that's never used it.. I've always been under the assumption, that if your oil is dirty.. no matter how many miles you've put on it since the last oil change, CHANGE IT. If your engine makes the oil dirty before the 3k mark, sorry.. but i wouldn't keep it in there until 4k even if thats the suggested interval.

Also, check all splash guards under the engine.... Mine came loss before because i barely moved it a little when removing a dead bird from my bumper... i must of just barely removed a little plastic clip... so that to me suggests that ford doesn't really try hard to make them stationary...

Last edited by fend2ride; 05-02-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:12 PM

Oh man.. i just re read your first post... every 8k? and oil filter EVERY 4k? really? that is seriously what ford recommends?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Originally Posted by fend2ride
Your right about the 4.2L its an old engine, but a proven one... If you are putting in the suggested type oil, then leaks because of oil shouldn't be an issue.... i've only heard of oil finding spots to leak when 1. its an old motor or 2. your using a full synthetic oil in an old engine that's never used it.. I've always been under the assumption, that if your oil is dirty.. no matter how many miles you've put on it since the last oil change, CHANGE IT. If your engine makes the oil dirty before the 3k mark, sorry.. but i wouldn't keep it in there until 4k even if thats the suggested interval.

Also, check all splash guards under the engine.... Mine came loss before because i barely moved it a little when removing a dead bird from my bumper... i must of just barely removed a little plastic clip... so that to me suggests that ford doesn't really try hard to make them stationary...
Yeah, the 4.2L is an old design, and it's certainly not a massive power horse, but it's definitely a good, tough engine.

I've poked around looking at the various spash guards and what not, nothing seems out of place.

Oh man.. i just re read your first post... every 8k? and oil filter EVERY 4k? really? that is seriously what ford recommends?
The Ford manual calls for changing the oil & filter with REGULAR 5w20 every 7,500 miles. So, I'm going above and beyond that by using synthetic (Castrol or Mobil1) AND changing the filter every 4,000 miles, to try to ensure that the oil stays in good condition and I still more or less stick to the factory interval. Still, even with these extra measures, the oil seems to now be getting dirty more quickly than it was for the first 36-40k miles, and I'm not running it in any different conditions, in fact, more highway, so the oil should take even less abuse. This is something I've never encountered on any previous vehicle I've had, so I'm a bit puzzled.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh?

I have a 4.2 and the manual says full synthetic every 5,000

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by nagata
Yeah, the 4.2L is an old design, and it's certainly not a massive power horse, but it's definitely a good, tough engine.

I've poked around looking at the various spash guards and what not, nothing seems out of place.

The Ford manual calls for changing the oil & filter with REGULAR 5w20 every 7,500 miles. So, I'm going above and beyond that by using synthetic (Castrol or Mobil1) AND changing the filter every 4,000 miles, to try to ensure that the oil stays in good condition and I still more or less stick to the factory interval. Still, even with these extra measures, the oil seems to now be getting dirty more quickly than it was for the first 36-40k miles, and I'm not running it in any different conditions, in fact, more highway, so the oil should take even less abuse. This is something I've never encountered on any previous vehicle I've had, so I'm a bit puzzled.
I really think you should start changing your oil every 3-4k with filter... see if that helps... Maybe with the 7500k now and the older engine, the oil is getting hotter and losing its properties.... honestly i'm surprised that the they would let you maintain the warranty without using motorcraft oil..

I would definitely advise the change of oil frequency before changing to 5w-30.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Originally Posted by Wiggles85
Huh?

I have a 4.2 and the manual says full synthetic every 5,000
Hmmm...well, if the truck wasn't at Ford, I'd go grab the manual and make sure I'm not crazy. I'll have to check it as soon as I get the truck back, but I could swear that my manual says 7500 miles, and doesn't specify regular or synthetic.

I really think you should start changing your oil every 3-4k with filter... see if that helps... Maybe with the 7500k now and the older engine, the oil is getting hotter and losing its properties.... honestly i'm surprised that the they would let you maintain the warranty without using motorcraft oil..

I would definitely advise the change of oil frequency before changing to 5w-30.
I understand your point, but there should be no reason whatsoever to change the oil every 3-4k miles, even if I was running non-synthetic. It's been shown with multiple tests by multiple companies that, under normal operating conditions, most oils are still good well beyond 3 or 4k miles. With many newer cars, the computer is telling you when the oil should be changed (my G8 GT has this), based on an algorithm that factors in all the various driving conditions, and in many cases, vehicles are going well over 10,000 miles before the computer says it's time to change the oil. With my old 03 ZX2, I ran synthetic 5w20 from 50k all the way until 130k when I traded it in, changing it the same way (every 8-9k, filter roughly every 4500 miles), and the oil would come out looking really good. I know, different vehicle, different engine, but I know synthetic should have the ability to provide adequate lubrication for several thousand miles.

I realize oil is a debate with no definitive answer, as each person will do what they are comfortable with...I did NOT intend for this to become a discussion about oil, there are too many variables and too many different opinions.

So, let's focus on the original question...Anyone else having small, annoying issues with their 4.2L? Maybe it's just me and I'm doing something wrong, lol, but if that's the case, I guess I've been doing something wrong for a decade and it's just now biting me in the ***, hahaha.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

My 08 4.2 has had zero problems with the engine...but everything else around the engine has been changed basically...ac compressor atleast 5 times... clutch fan..ps pump and rack and pinion...rear end..Battery x3 ... I change my oild every 5000-15000k Depending on how much i tow and how hard its been ran..Ive used royal purple full synth and a K&N oil filter since after the first oil change... My oil always looks clean... I was in the hospital at the beg of 09 and the oil got ran too 15k while my g.f was driving it all insterstate mile... and before i changed it i changed the filter.. ran a few hundred miles and then changed it ..

Where exactly did you see the oil leaking from.. I have a small oil leak that looks to be coming from the front main seal.. or oil pan.. Its not bad.. but i can tell its got a leak there somewhere

Quick Reply: Anyone else having several little issues with their 4.2L V6 truck?