Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anybody with dual batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody with dual batteries?

Just want some ideas. I really don't want to buy optima batteries or odyssey. I was thing on fabricating my own battery shelf and add a small gel battery just for my off road lights and future add ons.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How much current draw are you anticipating? Just curious.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by muddyford911
How much current draw are you anticipating? Just curious.
I really don't know. I don't have a stopping point right now I have all these crazy ideas with lightbars and stuff right now I already have a 50 (288 watts) inch light bar, 2 flush mounts (18 watts each) , 2 nine inch light bars (54 watts each), a compressor for my train horns it draws 21 amps and a 2400 watt peak hifonics amp.

Future stuff
2 more 9 inch light bars
40" light bar
Rocklight
Bed lights
1600 watt peak amp

I can't tell you what all the is going to draw unless I start doing the math but I know it's just going to be a little too much for my 110 alternator. I pick up a HO alternator already I've yet to put it in. The truck is also going to be a mud truck one day so I'll add a winch probably in not saying I need another battery because I'll drain my current one, it's really for security so I know I can put all this **** on and not worry about leaving something on for too long and come back to a dead truck
Old 05-08-2016, 03:36 PM
NIGHT TRAIN

Received 184 Likes on 165 Posts

following...

i am converting from a CAI with filter on drivers side, to a centrally located filter centered under my hood scoops. when this happens, i will have a nice spot for a 2nd battery where the CAI filter used to be.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK...granted that's a lot of LED stuff, most LED bars don't actually pull as much current as they advertise. In other words, they aren't as bright as they say they are.

That being said, with everything you listed running at the same time, as a worst case scenario, that would put a ton of strain on your alternator, which I doubt would would be able to keep up.

My suggestion is to upgrade to a 200a alternator, and Google the "Big 3" upgrade. This involves upgrading the cable from the alternator to the battery, and the ground cables from the battery to the frame, and the frame to the engine block. This will be way more expensive than adding an extra battery, but it sounds like you probably have some extra cash to play with.

Simply adding an extra battery will improve capacity, which will work. But I feel like you'll be replacing batteries left and right...possibly alternators as well.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like a neat idea but you'd think that would just be hell on your alternator

Quick Reply: Anybody with dual batteries?