Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any suggestions for Mud Flaps on 9' lifted F150, got a TICKET!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions for Mud Flaps on 9' lifted F150, got a TICKET!

Live in PA and just received a ticket yesterday for not having mudflaps on my 04 with 9" lift and 37"s.. I think that is pretty F'ing petty thing to fine someone for, Then I could not find up to date ins card, as he left to write ticket, I found it and still got a $350 dollar fine for that alone!!!! And have to prepay to fight ticket 2 days before xmas!! WTF?

So any suggestions for something that would look as least dumb as possible? Anyone happen to know PA's law for Flaps? Will post pic tomorrow of truck
Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 PM

ing sucks... I live in Kentucky but when I got my ticket for no up to date insurance, all I had to do was go to court and show an up to date insurance card that was inforce on the date of the ticket.
At far as the mud flap thats just petty... Really you have a lifted truck and that stock mud flap isnt going to do much.
Good Luck
Old 12-24-2010, 10:49 AM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

you are probably going to be best of going to Semi Dealer if you need to get something that long. or hand fabricate something. You could do it really easy with some large semi flaps and some self taping screws
Old 12-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by KY_FF_EMT
ing sucks... I live in Kentucky but when I got my ticket for no up to date insurance, all I had to do was go to court and show an up to date insurance card that was inforce on the date of the ticket.
At far as the mud flap thats just petty... Really you have a lifted truck and that stock mud flap isnt going to do much.
Good Luck
He said he would drop the Ins fines and the flaps if I intall, but in PA to plead "not guilty" you have to pay fines first! So I have to pay $600 for all 3 fines just before X-Mas..

I plan on making my own removeable flaps I think, just wonder what the actual law is so I know what I am fighting when I get there.. The ticket states "Operating a vehicle of 11,000lbs with out rear shield"!! Last time I check my truck should be just under 6k or so..

Also wonder if there are any that look somewhat decent on a lifted truck?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 87_TA
"Operating a vehicle of 11,000lbs with out rear shield"!! Last time I check my truck should be just under 6k or so..
Interesting....yeah our trucks only weigh 6kish.

Here in Nebraska, I THINK, the rule of thumb is if your at stock height you dont have to have anything. but after you go more the 3" of lift you have to have HALF of the tire covered coming out the rear. I just called my buddy and he said he went onto ebay and after he put his 6" lift on he bought the set that normally goes all the way to the ground that you normally see on the Dually pickups and it covered about half of his tire when it was lifted. he actually ended up leaving them on because he liked the fact his truck stayed a little cleaner on the rear and they looked kinda neat with the chrome strip along the bottom of them.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

in pa the bottom edge of the mud flap has to be with in a 45 deg angle of the wheels center
Old 12-24-2010, 11:40 AM

so if that is the law you could get by with just a stocker mudflap in most cases.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by blueflame
in pa the bottom edge of the mud flap has to be with in a 45 deg angle of the wheels center
He had a notation on bottom that said 22.5°, so I just checked and I am near 22.5° from wheel axle center to bottom of bumper, so that is well below 45° that I am supposed to be with a flap, to the wheel well bottom edge I am 50° - so a 2" mudflap would make me legal? Now I can understand measuring 45° from bottom center of tire or road surface, but that does not jive with his 22.5° degrees... How are you supposed to be "Legal" if you can not findd the rules or do they make sense?

I feel like finding the most offensive flaps I can to take it to the magistrate, like real Leopard skin flaps that say i support abortion and animal killing.. Serious!! At 06:45 am 2 days before XMas, people are speeding, reckless drive and drunk and he wants to give me a ticket for FKING mudflaps.. Sorry, you all can probably tell I am bitter.

Here is the very offending, non mupflap having road hazard: You can see by the pics that either point is less than 45° from wheel center, so it has to be wheel bottom, but as I said that makes his 22.5° not make sense..
By looking under the truck, looks like I can mount a piece of square stock right off the rear of leaf hanger, then just bolt some rubber to.
Attached Thumbnails Any suggestions for Mud Flaps on 9' lifted F150, got a TICKET!-img_0680.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by 87_TA; 12-24-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:19 PM

I called the local State Police, he stated that the projectory angle should be less than 22.5° from bottom of tire.. STill does not make sense, my oldsmobile alero has a 25° angle from bottom of tire center to rear bottom of bumper - so that car is also a hazard I assume.

Last edited by 87_TA; 12-24-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Well the 45 deg angle is in the state inspection hand book, but they have been making changes, but for as high as you are your bumper are too high it looks to be

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for Mud Flaps on 9' lifted F150, got a TICKET!