Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any suggestions ?

I bought a new bed yesterday for my truck and I mistakenly took the word of the junkyard i got it from when they told me that it was in good condition (good is relative?) Long story short, I have the bed on my truck now and there is a considerable dent on the drivers side, halfway down just below the railing. Any auto body experts have advice how to get the dent out or at least make it look a bit better? I cannot get a rubber mallet or anything on it because the way the bed is constructed. I attached a couple of pics of the damage.
Attached Thumbnails Any suggestions ?-bed2.jpg   Any suggestions ?-bed1.jpg  
Old 06-26-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you bought it without checking the condition of it first?
Old 06-26-2015, 08:38 PM

Well I was looking for a color specific bed so I didn't have to paint it so my options were limited, but yeah, I saw pictures of it, but I bought it before actually looking at it in person. I can tell you I wont make that mistake again.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:38 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,579 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Hmm, if you bought it before looking at it, and when you went to get it, it had a dent, why did you leave with it? If you paid with a bank card or credit card, you could have refuted the charge. Driving off without the bed would have been your best option. Not calling your bank or cc card immediately was your next mistake you made. Only way to fix that is from a body shop, especially with that paint scrape/gouge by the dents.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Summers22
Hmm, if you bought it before looking at it, and when you went to get it, it had a dent, why did you leave with it? If you paid with a bank card or credit card, you could have refuted the charge. Driving off without the bed would have been your best option. Not calling your bank or cc card immediately was your next mistake you made. Only way to fix that is from a body shop, especially with that paint scrape/gouge by the dents.
that was pretty harsh dude
Old 06-27-2015, 07:31 AM

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

If you went from a rusted bed to that and didn't pay too much for it I think you will be fine. That's pretty minor body work, blend in that area and clear the whole bed side. Go to a couple reputable body shops and get estimates.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:46 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,579 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Originally Posted by ethan_
that was pretty harsh dude
Harsh? Yeah, okay.

Sorry, congratulations on your new bed, looks great!
Old 06-27-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

That is actually relatively good condition in the autobody world if that's the only dent. Nothing is perfect from the junk yard. You might try dry ice to get it to pop out. Other than that, local body shop can fix and blend it.

Last edited by nrivera04; 06-27-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Any suggestions ?

Well it looks to me like you have a plastic bed liner? If so and you don't want to spend a lot of money the pull out the bedliner, take a cutting blade on a grinder and cut out a hole the size of the dent directly behind the dent and work it out with a hammer and dolly. After you repair it as good as you can get it (which should be pretty good) then treat the bare metal from the cut with an anti rust agent, and then reinstall the bedliner and you won't see the hole you cut. It's just how much money you wanna spend but that would be a cheap fix.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Ford truck and Stihl saws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see both sides of the argument but lets talk about fixes. Normally the ding king works well but those are tight puncture type dents. I think to fix this you will need to have a shop do a slide hammer job and probably some filler. This would require new paint blended over the area. It should cost no more than $300 and take no more than four days. As far as price tell the yard you are unhappy. They may give you money off or a part to help make up for it.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions ?