Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any one use a Belt driven / flex fan.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any one use a Belt driven / flex fan.

My electric fans crapped out on me. I ripped them out and I'm looking a new options. I wheel/mud the truck here and there. It is not a daily driver. I was looking into a mech fan clutch then I thought about running a "flex fan" from the pulley. Any thoughts?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I think a stock setup with the fan clutch would be the best way to go. Do you have your old fan clutch? Unless you go back with the electric fans used on the 2010 + models. I switched over to that unit and haven't had any issues. There are a couple of threads in here about those. The only draw back I see is they are high current at full power so it requires a solid controller setup.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to keep the factory setup, even for mudding.
Short version of long story-I was prepping an Econoline van for a trip to California towing a travel trailer. I replaced the 'free wheeling' coolant fan with one that had some resistance when spun by hand, thinking the 'old' one was defective. Fast forward to somewhere our west on a long uphill pull, the temp started climbing and would have overheated had i not stopped.
You guessed it, I put the 'free wheeling' factory fan back on and the temps returned to normal. I guess they knew what they were doing better than I! That was over 40 years ago.
On the other hand, what setup are the 'other guys' using. If it works for them it might work for you.

Last edited by Greg2; 05-05-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Any one use a Belt driven / flex fan.