Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any ideas why my truck dosent start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas why my truck dosent start?

I have a 2004 f150 5.4L, and recently it seems to not enjoy starting. When I turn the key over I hear a single click noise and that's it. At first I thought the battery may be the problem, and i was wrong. I replaced the battery and all was well for a week or so and now its doing the same thing, so I thought alternator, but its good too and the battery is fine because everything works as normal for the start, there is just no start. So now I'm kind of stuck and am not really sure what the problem is. Any ideas and things to check or try?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there gas in the tank? these engines wont run without it... lol.. just kidding...

I had that problem before, and I went with a higher CCA battery and it fixed it... but there could be any number of things... do you have a scanner tool to check for any codes that are getting tripped? it may tell you right away whats wrong... otherwise fuel pump, fuel filter, or the starter could be a couple things off the top of my head....
Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

check the starter solenoid, if its not turnin over with a new battery that could be the problem, it causes clickin
Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

How do you know the alternator is good? Sounds to me like it is not keeping the battery fully charged. You installed a new battery; truck started for a week. Now the issue is back.

I suspect either bad cables (dirty, broken inside the insulation), or the alternator.

Quick Reply: Any ideas why my truck dosent start?