Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ANY FORD TECHS HERE? Finally had Ford look at the truck! (SHAKING / STUDDERING)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up ANY FORD TECHS HERE? Finally had Ford look at the truck! (SHAKING / STUDDERING)

So after a lot of confusion i finally took the big boy to Ford.
If you haven't read my previous posts, my problems were a lot of shaking/studdering around highway speeds with a CEL on.
So they plugged her in and they told me that Cylinder #3 was misfiring and that it is the plug and the coil. They also said that every cylinder had a CEL code coming from it. This was because i tried unplugging every coil pack harness one at a time to see if they were working. After i told the ford mechanic this he said "yeah that's prob what did it" lol
They wanted to charge me $668 or something like that just for 1 spark plug, 1 coil pack, the diagnostic scan, a PCM reflash (that i supposedly needed to clear all of those other stupid codes), taxes and etc.
I told them ill just take it as is and I'm going to do the work with my mechanic for a third of that price lol

My only question to whomever (hopefully a ford tech) is reading this is, will i be able to just clear those codes that i set off with my mechanics computer????

I hope this post helps whoever is having any similar problems. I can't tell you how good i felt after i found out how minor this problem is! lol

MAC
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

You can clear the codes by leaving the negative battery cable off for a while. Get the plug and COP changed and it will be fine. I hate all the techs that think the PCM has to be reflashed for every little thing.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 PM

lmaoo That just took a lot of my chest! awesome news thanks a lot otto. You're the man ahahaa 1 other question, Should i do the plug and coil change for CYL #3 first and then do the negative cable thing?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 PM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac113
lmaoo That just took a lot of my chest! awesome news thanks a lot otto. You're the man ahahaa 1 other question, Should i do the plug and coil change for CYL #3 first and then do the negative cable thing?
Ya you can do that or just unhook the battery while your working on it, or just take it down to a parts store that has an obd scanner and they can clear it
Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Do the change first and then unhook the cable. It should be unhooked while it is getting changed for safety, so kill two birds with one stone.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm a ford tech and yes you can clear the code with any scan tool after you change the cop n plug no need for a reflash unless there is a updated program for ur truck which there could be ford come out with updated programing all the time to help running and what not but you dont have to get them done
Old 02-14-2011, 10:56 PM

Thanks boys! This is why I turn to this forum everyday! lol You guys are awesome, I cant express how nervous I was about this whole ordeal.

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy tried to get his mechanic to clear the codes with his reader but he refused because he said it was illegal. According to him, if you fix the problem, the truck should not throw the code again after reconnecting the battery. However, he said the truck would have to go through 22 (I think it was 22) starting cycles to completely clear the memory so the vehicle would pass emissions testing. If that is true, going to and from work for 11 days would completely clear the memory of the bad codes. I suppose you could go out at lunch and start the engine and shorten the amount of time to clear the memory.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with # 8 misfiring. I was in a bind and needed it done quick so I just had them do it. They only charged me $234. That included a new coil and plug. Make sure when you put the plugs in that you have them tight. The coil will not hold it down if it does come loose

Quick Reply: ANY FORD TECHS HERE? Finally had Ford look at the truck! (SHAKING / STUDDERING)