Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any advice on removing EGR valve?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any advice on removing EGR valve?

Hello, I'm trying to replace the leaking intake manifold on my 2007 with the 4.6, but I can't get the EGR tube disconnected from the EGR valve. The valve is attached to the plastic intake via a metal frame, and when I put too much torque on the bolt holding on the tube, the frame starts to bend and I'm afraid I'm going to do damage. Al the videos I can find online are for the older model year with the metal manifold. I'm hoping someone here has been through this before with this same setup and might have some advice. Is there an easier option that disconnecting the other end of the tube? It looks really hard to get at down there and I'm not sure I have a big enough wrench. If I just unbolt the EGR from the intake and leave the tube connected, is there enough room to finagle it off?
Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't answer your question as I have never done what you would like to do. However, I have unbolted my EGR from the manifold to check the gasket. If you remove your EGR valve from the manifold, just be careful when reinstalling the gasket (new or old) as I dropped mine (while trying to align the bolts) and it fell through the manifold and into the engine valley. It took some time with a long wire to fish it out. You might want to put apiece of paper or cardboard underneath the EGR valve when reinstalling.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bummer

Thanks, I finally sucked it up and went and got the right wrench and got the EGR tube disconnected from the other end. I got the intake successfully removed and the new one in place, filled the system with coolant... and it comes pouring out the bottom of the new intake manifold.

Don't know what I did wrong, but probably gotta take the whole thing off again. A whole days work down the drain. I'm gonna tackle this another day and go get myself a beer.
The following users liked this post:
Fuhnominon (08-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Any advice on removing EGR valve?