Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Antifreeze Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Antifreeze Problems

I have a 2007 XLT supercab 5.4 4WD Triton as of right now it has 34,000 miles on it, I just bought it about month and a half ago, anyway keep have to put more antifreeze in it, I fill it up where the cold fill line is and it always drops, i'm not really a mechanic but i'm sure that I should'nt have to keep adding, truck only gets to regular temp no higher , and I do not hot rod this truck, all the other fluids seem to be good,, I still have bumper to bumper coverge as of now
I took it in to a dealer ship last week and all they did was top it off, a mechanic said if it keeps doing it to bring it back in, is there a leak somewhere or worse? or does this truck do this normally. Please help

Thank You
GodBless
Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on how you drive, why would you expect it to go above normal. That means the cooling system is doing its job?

Have you noticed anything on the ground? Are you sure you aren't over filling?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Take it back in. You are probably loosing coolant somewhere.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:26 PM

Hi,

The dealer or most any repair shop will have a pressure tester for the cooling system. It's a very simple thing to do but you do have to wait a while (10 - 15 minutes ) for results. You might be able to rent/borrow one from a big chain parts store. Again, it's very simple to use..........

or-

Next time you pull into your driveway, pop the hood and sniff around a bit. The odor of antifreeze is unmistakable. If you get a wiff, you have a small leak. Could be as simple as a loose hose clamp or some crud on the sealing surface of the cooling system cap.

As long as the oil on your dipstick doesn't look like chocolate milk, it should be a minor fix.

Bob the Fool
Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by foolwitools

As long as the oil on your dipstick doesn't look like chocolate milk, it should be a minor fix.
+1
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM

Ok sounds like a plan, I just looked from driving 60+ miles and didnt smell anything really, but I will keep checking cause it did go down some, hopefully it was just a air bubble or something cause the place I bought it did do some stuff to it cause its ford certified anyway Thanks ppl I love the truck
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Hi again,

If the dealer did "something" and the problem went away (temporarily...) they may have done something as simple ( and as wrong) as throwing a can of "stop leak" or something like it in the cooling system to temporarily plug a minor leak. Your repair ticket/reciept should state exactly what they did.

If it is not clear what they did................

Get in the service dept.'s face(in a nice way) and ask what they actually did. In the case of a warranty issue, You are in effect hiring them to work for you. you have a right to know exactly what they did...............

If you take the crap they give you (espicially in the case of a dealer) They win............and get off cheap.

Bob the Fool
Old 01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like a pressurized leak. X2 on the pressure test. Do you change your own oil? Maybe you should next time, does the oil level appear high on the dipstick?

Quick Reply: Antifreeze Problems