Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Another Question on a lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Question on a lift

I'm new to the truck world. I've own imports and Jeeps.... My question is if I go with a 6inch lift do I have to re-gear it? I have a F150 4x2 5.4 lar. I have re-geared my Jeeps an I really don't want to go down that path. Should I just go with a 4inch lift? Thanks for your help Also what is a est. on the price of lift and install? thanks again
Old 03-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Combat Trucker

personally, i would sell the 4x2 and get something thats 4 wheel drive. why lift a 2 wheel drive truck???
Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

i slightly agree with rainman... but only his first part.... but, if you have no use for a 4x4, then stick with your 2wd..... it will look just as good lifted as a 4x4.

as for your question, no, you wont "have" to re-gear..... you might think it would be nice, but not needed. im running 35's with the 3.55, and i think it does fine....afterall, im not driving a drag car.

as for price on lift, it all depends on whether you go with a "spacer" style, of a full swapover of the front coils. you can spend anywhere from ~1100 - ~2400 for the most common lifts (6"). now, if you go with an 8" or higher, then you can really empty your wallet fast. if you go higher than a 6", then you will want to go with 37's or larger.

install price on average runs 500-800. (i installed myself, but that comes from other forum members)

if you really want to do a lift, then i say just do it.... and see how you like the performance with the stock gears.... and if you feel you need to re-gear, you can always do it afterwards.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't listen to the "Don't lift a 2WD" crowd. I had no need for 4WD so that's why I went with a 2WD and lifted it because I wanted to and it looks bad! I do get crap from the guys with 4WD's, but I also get so many compliments on this truck. Besides those guys with 4WDs lift their trucks for exactly the same reasons us 2WD owners lift ours, for the looks. They don't do any serious 4 wheelin because they spend thousands on the truck and then thousands modifying so they aren't gonna take them off road and beat them up. Sorry running through mud puddles and the beach ain't 4 wheelin, my 2WD truck can do that.

Anyways. You don't have to regear just because you throw on a lift and bigger tires. I ran my stock 3.55 gears in my truck for 9 months after I lifted and added 35's. I have since regeared to Yukon 4.56's though and it was definitely the best thing I did for my truck, but not something you absolutely have to do. You will definitely need to have your speedo and shift points recalibrated. My dealership was going to charge me $80 to do mine, but I just went out and got an Xcal II and custom tuning instead.

As for price I have the Fabtech performance lift in my truck. Paid $1450 for the kit and $650 for install.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 PM
JACK

I have a 4x4 and i am going to regear soon only to regain some of the lost power. I also have 35's with a 6" lift and have seen 4x2's with the same set up and they look just as good as a 4x4 they just sit a little lower. GO FOR THE 6" W/35's it will be fine

Quick Reply: Another Question on a lift