Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Another Leaky F150 Cabin...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Leaky F150 Cabin...

To any who have dealt with the leaky cabin issue - I am looking for your thoughts.

2006 F150 SC

I pulled the seats and the carpet. Here are the facts:

(1) Drivers side wet, down at the kick panel channel that holds the electrical wiring
(2) NOT the passenger side
(3) Truck as not been driven for a couple of months and water still gets in when it rains
(4) Truck is parked with the nose at a slight uphill
(5) I used a series of strategically placed dry paper towels and the water is definitely coming in through the front kick panel area, underneath the electrical wiring loom
(7) no water coming in from the back of the cab (e.g. back window or 3rd stoplight)

So here is what I think are the candidate areas:

(1) bad seal in windshield, water running down A pillar and into side wall
(2) as in (1) but water getting in around sat antenna
(3) water getting in vent then through a cracked seam and into side wall
(4) water somehow going along door seal and getting in that way.
(5) water going through outside vent and not being directed through drain channel and building up getting through a crack in a body joint

Any other ideas?

Any suggestions as how do I determine where its coming from?

thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I feel your pain man. I also park nose up. I had mine all sealed up until a few weeks ago. I've discovered the main intrusions for my driver side leak were (and still are) the cowl drain (which is also where the sunroof drain exits), the door electrical connector (I forget the actual name), and possibly the door check.
Just like you described, my cowl drain was clogged with decaying leaves, dirt and other nasty stuff. I cleaned it out with a small wire twisted into a loop and a screw driver. You can take the fender off for easier access, but I didn't have time that day. That reduced the leak significantly. After using a water bottle and pouring strategically, it seems that water is getting in at the electrical connector for the door. To fix it properly, you'd have to get to it from the inside. That means removing the parking brake assembly and other things. I just haven't had time for that yet, and the leak isn't bad at all right now.
Another point of entry could be the windshield mount clips. They are under the cowl, right at the edge.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I too experienced water in the wiring area, under the door sill (drivers side). I removed the small bolts that held the plastic inner liner of bothe front wheel wells, just at the corners of the plastic liners that meet at the corner closest to the door. I then reached up with my hand, and pulled out the years of collected leaves, twigs, and god knows what else that prevents or makes for a slow water drain.

My water stopped collecting into the wiring area of the door sill.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM

Excellent info guys. I will dig into this weekend.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 PM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is your problem, exact same issues I was having...you might be shocked to see what it is.....read my posts in this thread....(don't break your windshield though)

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/water-l...repair-250303/
Old 02-05-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lewissa81
I feel your pain man. I also park nose up. I had mine all sealed up until a few weeks ago. I've discovered the main intrusions for my driver side leak were (and still are) the cowl drain (which is also where the sunroof drain exits), the door electrical connector (I forget the actual name), and possibly the door check.
Just like you described, my cowl drain was clogged with decaying leaves, dirt and other nasty stuff. I cleaned it out with a small wire twisted into a loop and a screw driver. You can take the fender off for easier access, but I didn't have time that day. That reduced the leak significantly. After using a water bottle and pouring strategically, it seems that water is getting in at the electrical connector for the door. To fix it properly, you'd have to get to it from the inside. That means removing the parking brake assembly and other things. I just haven't had time for that yet, and the leak isn't bad at all right now.
Another point of entry could be the windshield mount clips. They are under the cowl, right at the edge.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

The clip might be the problem, but I had the same problem as well and a different fix. After I lifted my truck I would go out after a heavy rain and my weather techs would be filled with water (about 1 good glass full).

I looked and looked and couldn't find the problems because when I went to look I couldn't find any leak. Finally I was playing around with the wiring harnesses under the dash and my fingers would get damp every time I dug my fingers into this one. It turns out the water was draining off the cowl as it should, but was landing on a wire bundle under the hood and that was acting like a big straw to the inside.

I don't have any before pics, but the bundle I am pointing to had no tape on it at all and was just an open bundle of wired between where it went into the firewall bushing and where it has that small wire coming off it just behind my finger.

I believe it was taped from the factory, but had just come off. I proceeded to wrap it with electrical tape from the firewall up (so the edges would overlap where the water would just run off instead of across the edges). Since I have done this we have had several heavy rain storms and not one drop has ever been inside again.

This is on the rear of the driver's wheel wheel. The extra cable you see above won't be in yours because it is an add on for my power steps.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Moremoney
Here is your problem, exact same issues I was having...you might be shocked to see what it is.....read my posts in this thread....(don't break your windshield though)

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/water-l...repair-250303/

Great info - thanks!

Quick Reply: Another Leaky F150 Cabin...