Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Another IWE Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another IWE Question

Backstory- replaced UCA's, tie rod ends, brake pads, and lower ball joints with no issues. When I was putting it all back together, I found that my vac line had come off of the hub. I just put it back on and thought nothing of it. As I was tightening my lugs, I noticed my tire was a little wobbly, so immediately knew I needed a hub. Didn't hear anything until yesterday after I put the new hub in and the metal on metal sound started. Also, my CV shaft turns when the truck is in 2WD and you can hear it clicking inside the hub. . I know this is fairly common and I've been going through the threads, so I think I have it narrowed down to what it could be, just not sure where to start. I currently don't have access to a vac pump and don't want to drive to a place to get one with that racket going on. Any way to disengage the lines till I can trouble shoot some more? Thanks!

2004 Lariat Screw 117, 481 Mi.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can unplug the vacuum line from the solenoid on the firewall on passenger side. This will engage the hubs but is ok as long as your transfer case is still in 2wd. You can drive like this just not recommended you do it very long.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

you can barrow a vacuum pump from auto zone or advanced... if you replaced an IWE on one side .. the other side may be leaking also.. this will rob your vacuum from the system... also mite want to look at your IWE solenoid itself...
Old 04-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
you can barrow a vacuum pump from auto zone or advanced... if you replaced an IWE on one side .. the other side may be leaking also.. this will rob your vacuum from the system... also mite want to look at your IWE solenoid itself...

I haven't replaced anything yet. Waiting for the actuator and solenoid to come in. Problem is that it's my daily driver and wasn't sure how much damage was caused. I did replace hub though and don't want to burn that and the shaft up
Old 04-19-2015, 03:25 PM

Half shaft doesn't turn when the vehicle is running. Pulled the vac lines from the solenoid and heard the vacuum release. Truck will engage 4WD hi and Lo. I'm going to replace the actuator and see what happens. Any other recommendations?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/
Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 PM

Read this and ran through all the tests and replaced the drivers side actuator. Still made a metal grating sound. Noticed it only did it when the rotor was on. Crawled under it and saw that the bottom rear portion of that stupid brake heat shield had gotten bent and was rubbing the inside of the rotor. I'm an idiot. Thanks for the input fellas !

Quick Reply: Another IWE Question