Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Another AC Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Another AC Question...

I took my truck in for an oil change and had them do an AC compression/leak test--as the AC kept getting warmer and warmer. Come to find out it's leaking bad from the condenser. I was quoted $1300 for all the repair work. I'm guessing this is an involved job and shouldn't be attempted by the average garage mechanic?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

If you have mechanical know-how and time, it can be done.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertRoads
I took my truck in for an oil change and had them do an AC compression/leak test--as the AC kept getting warmer and warmer. Come to find out it's leaking bad from the condenser. I was quoted $1300 for all the repair work. I'm guessing this is an involved job and shouldn't be attempted by the average garage mechanic?

If its just a leak at the condensor, then you can buy and replace the condenser yourself and let the shop evacuate it and recharge. While the system is open, I suggest replacing the Fixed Orifice Valve, if it has one, very cheap.

If the system did not have a catastrophic failure, then a simple evac and recharge after the condenser replacement will get you going again. If the FOV indicates a grainy material, the system is compromised and needs to be cleaned out and possibly more parts.

Quick Reply: Another AC Question...