Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Another 5.4 Ticking engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another 5.4 Ticking engine

I thought I would kick this off as a start to yet another 05 5.4ltr 3v ticking engine problem.

I thought I had diagnosed it as a lifter problem rather than a phaser......so I ordered up the 24 new lifters from Ford in Houston and got struck into the passenger side bank as that was the noisey side......I already tried new cam solenoids.

After spending about 2 hours just getting the valve cover off (and having to depressure the AC) I realised the spring compression tool I bought was the wrong one....it was for a 2 valve engine!

So, I made a wedge to lock the chain in place and slackened off all the camshaft guides and carefully changed all the lifters one by one.

I did notice the top section of the timing chain seemed pretty slack, but though the tensioner would take that up when the engine was running. Anyway, long story short, the tick was still there and it also ran and idled crap!

So the next stage is the big, front cover off and replace the cam phasers, timing chain tensioners and guides, lower sprockets, oil and filter and check the sump for crap that may well be in there!

I think I have researched it all as much as I can on the tear down.....does anyone have advise on undoing the crank pulley bolt (locking the engine).

Thanks in advance

Mark
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you already have the chains off? And what do you need the crank gear off for?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you trying to get the crank pulley or the gear off?

Quick Reply: Another 5.4 Ticking engine