Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Annoying tick is gone.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying tick is gone.

The annoying tick on startup and under acceleration was the passenger exhaust manifold. What a complete bit%# to remove. Took out inner fender liner and was able to get at the top bolts. Sprayed them with PB Blaster and let them sit overnight. Had to take off the starter and move the A/C compressor out of the way to access the bottom bolts. Used a die grinder to grind the nuts off flush with the manifold. Didn't have to worry about doing that to the front top and bottom bolt as they were already broken off about 1/4 of an inch inside the head due to the manifold warping and this was the source of the annoying sound. Was able to remove the other 6 studs by heating up the area around the bolt and not the bolt itself. Couldn't get at the two front bolts to drill them out so did something that an old welder told me. He said to use a wire feed mig and zap the end of the bolt until you had enough to weld on a nut. He said it wouldn't affect the aluminum head and he was correct. Once the nuts were welded on and the surrounding head area was heated they both came out easily. Getting the manifold out was difficult but instead of jacking up the engine we just cut the exhaust pipe before the "Y" and after the cats and moved it out of the way. Once the new manifold was installed we just welded up the pipe. When installing we anti-seized everything liberally. Truck sounds good as new.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy S**t! That sounds like a huge pain in the a**! Boy, am I glad I bought mine with new aftermarket headers on it. Did not need that crap to happen... Nice job...
Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

had mine done at the dealership. 650.00 bucks.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

What year trucks, engines ?
Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Mines having the same issue from the passenger's side as well. This sounds like so much fun and something I'm not looking forward to. Haha thanks for posting!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hahah I did mine also about a month ago but I was able to drill the two front studs out and a lot of head and patients to not brake the rest. Next week in doing driver side and my truck is 4x4 so I'll have fun
Old 11-23-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Been a few threads on the passenger side manifold. Looks like an absolute miserable job. I hope I never have to do that one. But I likely will at some point. Maybe have another vehicle at that point to drive while I work on the truck. Can always ride my bikes, but not so nice in the winter. Good job for getting yours done.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 PM

It's really not bad just be smart about it and move everything, what I did was remove air intake box, remove fan shrout and fan, unbolted the exhauste after the ypipe, unbolted from headers both sides, unbolted both motor mounts, removed passenger side motor mount completely, moved ac compressor, remove the starter, then I had a jack stand that you twist and goes up or down and I put that under oil pan with 2x4 and jacked up the engine and I was goodto go, to tighten the bolts under the manifold you stick your arm up from the bottom or through the front where the ac compressor was, yes I know my manifold is blue they only had vht exhaust pain in blue and it was going to take 2 weeks for black but it came out pretty good actually

Old 11-23-2014, 08:26 PM

Ohh and 2 studs were aredy Scheared off so I dilled and tap them out but the other one its just apply heat, get a solid piece of pipe and a hammer and slightly tap the stud (like a chisel) to shake it loos then apply more heat and use vise grips or a 1/2 in deep socket or 12mm socket and no air tools only old school - ratchet
Old 11-23-2014, 08:27 PM

This Wednesday I'm doing driver side

Quick Reply: Annoying tick is gone.