Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Annoying tap, tick, squeak 08 SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:04 AM
citizen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying tap, tick, squeak 08 SCrew

I've got an 08 Screw XLT. Now that the weather is cooling off there are some weird sounds happening within the climate system. A slight ticking sound, sometimes more of a tapping sound and at times a slow squeaking sound appears upon startup and only when the outside temp is at 42 degrees or less.

If I turn the system off (where the red arrow points to) I hear the vents close up and then there is no longer any of these sounds. If I set the system to any of the other air flow settings, I will hear the ticking, etc. The tick/tap/squeak noise does not seem to speed up or get louder if I turn the fan speed from 1 to 2 or to 3..... it seems to have the same cadence and loudness.

Has anyone run into this same kind of thing? Any luck in fixing it? I still have a few months left on the 3/36 portion of the warranty; need to get it in the shop soon. Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Annoying tap, tick, squeak 08 SCrew-vent-squeek.jpg  

Last edited by davis; 12-03-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Default noise from vents inside dash

My problem is sort of like yours. When I change the vent flow settings the flap doors inside the vents in the dash make a scrapping sound. Ford has had to replace both actuators and it fixed the sound.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
citizen

Originally Posted by jhenry
My problem is sort of like yours. When I change the vent flow settings the flap doors inside the vents in the dash make a scrapping sound. Ford has had to replace both actuators and it fixed the sound.
Thanks Jhenry- One question: Did it start as ticking or tapping then became a scraping sound or did it start out scraping and become ticking/tapping etc?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Ze pigs n blankets

Is there a way to grease or oil them? I only get a slight squeak at first turn on. Just sounds like they need to be lubricated somehow.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:35 PM
citizen

Well, I went ahead and took SCrew in and have made an appointment to have the actuators replaced and they'll be looking at the blower as well to make certain the squeaking isn't coming from there. If so, new blower.

Thanks for reading this and replying jhenry. You were spot on.

edit/p.s.: This was kind of funny.... naturally, when I fired up SCrew this morning to drive to the dealer (with an outside temp of 31 degrees f), not a peep, tick, tap, or squeak. I left the dealer and a within couple of minutes I had to pull into a parking lot to take a call and read some crap on my blackbery. Of course, the entire symphony of tick, tap, squeak began and did not stop.

Last edited by davis; 12-03-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 PM
citizen

Once they heard the sound, it turns out it is these climate system parts (in their opinion).
Motor Blend door and I guess the Motor Air inlet

Another symptom I was unaware of but noticed and thought to be funny, is that even when the temp was set to point in the blue zone, the interior was heating up like crazy and would eventually cool down. The noise is apparantly the blend door moving.

Quick Reply: Annoying tap, tick, squeak 08 SCrew