Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Amsoil Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil Mileage

Yesterday I did an oil change on the truck and I decided to put some Amsoil in it because I have only heard of good things. I ran an Amsoil filter with it. The bottle of oil said "Guarenteed 25,000 miles or one year". How true is this? How many miles are you guys able to get off this oil along with the oil filter? I plan on checking it at about 7,000 and 10,000 because I don't know about leaving oil in there that long.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:17 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I would check it at least every 5000, preferably whenever you fuel up. I was told by a napa employee that he's run 25,000mi on amsoil, but I don't know if I would do that without a couple oil analysis tests being run.
I usually check all my fluids when I get fuel, but then again, it takes a long time to fill a 36g tank haha
Old 03-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
I would check it at least every 5000, preferably whenever you fuel up. I was told by a napa employee that he's run 25,000mi on amsoil, but I don't know if I would do that without a couple oil analysis tests being run.
I usually check all my fluids when I get fuel, but then again, it takes a long time to fill a 36g tank haha
Wish I had a 36g tank...

I'm interested in this oil change. I currently run Royal Purple, and I could tell a difference, for the positive, when I switched to it. I am wondering if you noticed any gains/losses when running this. Also, and correct me if I am wrong here guys, but wouldn't the Filter get clogged and make the system run less efficiently if it was on for that long of time? Or is there filter some hybrid freak of nature? Thanks for the info in advance!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 PM
BAMF Club

I noticed my engine temp was a little cooler. But not much else. Even if they say oil is good for a million miles, the filter still needs to be changed according to its specifications, which may only be 10,000miles. and make sure you top off the oil when you change the filter.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be very leery of any oil that recommends a 25000 mile change interval. I would use the search function and google on this topic. There are plenty of threads on this topic. If you have a 5.4 motor I would even by more leery about the oil and filter brand. As stated before an oil analysis is always a good thing to do and will tell you how your oil is holding up under your driving conditions.

Kev
Old 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Amsoil since 1983. I love the stuff!! My oil temp is cooler and it starts so much better in the cold winters we have here in New England. I use the 25,000 mile product and amsoil filters and I change my oil once a year which about every 15,000 miles. I have been doing that for over 20 years and my last vehicle had over 100k on it and didn't burn a drop of oil.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:22 PM
BAMF Club

^ oil temp is cooler then what? If you've only been running amsoil you don't have anything to compare it to. How often do you change your filter
Old 03-29-2010, 04:46 PM

honestly, it seems like my 5.4L is running much smoother. the factory valve/inejctor noise is somewhat quieter. but i am going to do some research on amsoil and see what they recommend as for mileage on the filter and so on. Once u have oil in there that long, and correct me if im wrong, if ur not running it on the highway all the time, does the oil get acidic?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 PM
This picture scares you

Originally Posted by 05blackangus
I have been using Amsoil since 1983. I love the stuff!! My oil temp is cooler and it starts so much better in the cold winters we have here in New England. I use the 25,000 mile product and amsoil filters and I change my oil once a year which about every 15,000 miles. I have been doing that for over 20 years and my last vehicle had over 100k on it and didn't burn a drop of oil.
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
^ oil temp is cooler then what? If you've only been running amsoil you don't have anything to compare it to. How often do you change your filter
Uh, yeah, oil temp is cooler, starts better in the cold and a vehicle over 100k that "didn't burn a drop of oil"... How would you know any of these without any way to compare/prove if all you have been using is Amsoil since 1983... You can't say "well because my brother/father/uncle/cousin/dog/cat uses brand X oil and my vehicles have done this compared to theirs"... Apples and Oranges... Sorry but that is kind of a BS set of statements...
Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maizenblue2
honestly, it seems like my 5.4L is running much smoother. the factory valve/inejctor noise is somewhat quieter. but i am going to do some research on amsoil and see what they recommend as for mileage on the filter and so on. Once u have oil in there that long, and correct me if im wrong, if ur not running it on the highway all the time, does the oil get acidic?
I have never heard of oil getting acidic so not sure on that. You may want to have an oil analysis done at a couple different intervals to see how your oil is holding up. I believe Amsoil offers that service for a 20-25$. Send a sample in at 7500 and see where your at. Just a thought.

Kev

Quick Reply: Amsoil Mileage