Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Alt amps, inverters and what you can(n't) run

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Alt amps, inverters and what you can(n't) run

First of all is there a way I can tell or how do I determine what amperage my alternator is? I have a 2007 F150 FX4 5.4 It has a lot of extras like AC, trailer package, heated mirrors, sunroof blah blah. I'm pretty sure it is stock so what options were there? But there leads to my probably stupid question. I'm good at hammering things but electronics is not my forté. I have an inverter that I have used for a long time, just for basic needs. Charging, running a laptop, electric razor...low draw stuff. Is it dangerous or a concern to run higher draw stuff like power tools like a grinder? Will something go zap or conk?
Old 10-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Most likely the inverter is the limiting factor. Most inverters have a shutoff if the draw exceeds the rated peak output. Really depends on your inverter output and how it's connected to the battery.

More so, if you are using the power outlets in the cab, the fuse and wiring to those will fry before your alternator has issue keeping up. If the inverter has a 10 ga.+ connection direct to the battery, it won't be an issue.

A typical 500 watt corded hand drill will be extremely slow to start, even when connected to a 3500w gas powered generator. They just don't have the startup amperage that power tools demand.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:16 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

At the very least, I'd replace the 110 AMP alternator with a 220 AMP one.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

I'm assuming you're referring to an inverter that plugs into your cig lighter. I use them occasionally. Most of them are very limited in amperage, and have either a fuse or a circuit breaker preventing you from putting an excessive draw on the inverter. Heavier inverters will require direct wiring into your vehicle charging system.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all for input. About what I figured. I'd probably leave the idea. It is something I have had in the back of my mind for awhile. I'm not usually likely to need to do something like this but it did come up this weekend that made me want better info. I was buying some power tools second hand. The guy I was buying them from wanted to meet somewhere with no power outlets and just take his work they all worked. Screw that says I. I test or no sale. Went to his house tested and it turns out all good.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

It is very possible to get an inverter that will handle that kind of load, and run it straight off the truck battery with fairly large cable and gator clips. Not going to work with the $39.99 inverter from the gas station plugged into your dash outlet.

Quick Reply: Alt amps, inverters and what you can(n't) run