Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Alright guys...let's discuss 3v timing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Alright guys...let's discuss 3v timing.

Hey guys. I had a random thought today, and would like to see if we could get a good discussion going based off good input. Personal experiences, technical data, professional know-how, etc...

We all know about the flawed design with the 5.4 3v Triton. Even though it's a good, solid motor...it's Achilles heel is it's timing system. Failing of critical components such as the tensioners, phasers, and guides is common. The majority of us on this site have had to replace one, if not all sets of these components on our engines to get it back to nominal performance. I, personally, have replaced my phasers and VCT solenoids on my '08 SCrew, but didn't see the need to replace my guides and tensioners since I did all the work with only the valve-covers removed. With only that being done only 30K+ miles ago with absolutely no returning issues, I've become curious...

Do the tensioners and guides inevitably fail no matter the mileage and time on the engine? Or do some get lucky with never having the need to replace these components?

My chains seemed to have plenty of tension to them when I performed the work at around 90K. My phasers were the issue, so after replacing them and the VCT solenoids, my motor has been the little Sherman tank that I've always known Ford engines to be (from my own personal experience). I feel like most people who have these issues are those who are somewhat neglectful with their maintenance, but I could be completely wrong...so please don't crucify me for that statement. I just wanted to see what you guys had to say on the matter.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I believe it might just be a luck think. Luckily with me, I have had to do non of that type of work my truck (04 5.4) . Even tho I have begun to hear a ticking noise while driving. Truck has 207 thousand miles on her.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 04 Lucho
I believe it might just be a luck think. Luckily with me, I have had to do non of that type of work my truck (04 5.4) . Even tho I have begun to hear a ticking noise while driving. Truck has 207 thousand miles on her.
That's kinda what I'm thinking, Lucho. And for 207K on an 11 year old truck...it sounds like your girl has definitely lived a good long life if she's only developed a light tick.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 PM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

I honestly have no clue what the actual flaw is in these motors. Mine has served me well but it developed the ticking/rattling noise at around 85K miles. You can hear it really well by going through a drive thru. Now I'm at 119K and the chain rattle can be heard at start up after the motor is off for couple of hours. That all started at... maybe 109K. I've always change the oil on time and with the recommended motorcraft oil & filter.
Long story short, this is the beginning of my motors demise. I haven't decided whether or not to tear into it. Lack of experience in dealing with this type of stuff but a may get a wild hair one day and tackle it. SO far, I know the tensioners are failing or have failed and I have no idea what the rattle is. No phaser knock yet.... knock on wood. I shall keep to my normal routine and give a good hail Mary every time she cranks up with no new noises.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default A

Yeah Iam on my 4th 3v without a hitch. Well I have a ticking exhaust manifold but that's not gonna cannon.

Current 08 is Supercharged @ 180k and the 04 is stock OE @ 200k.

Buying second hand is Russian roulette IMO. Who knows where the truck has been or what's been done to it.

Like my old friend MGD says. The number of 5.4 3v's sold compared to the problems is a tiny %.

Heck I see more and more Eco & 5.0 problem threads appearing latley. Makes you wonder.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JByrd825

That's kinda what I'm thinking, Lucho. And for 207K on an 11 year old truck...it sounds like your girl has definitely lived a good long life if she's only developed a light tick.
I've been wanting to throw some money into the engine (super charger, headers, extra pully... Etc) but I'll just wait on this motor to go out. By then I should have another truck and make this one into my toy to go mudding, towing. Maybe keep it long enough for when I'm married and have a son lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:35 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

I think your comment "The majority of us on this site have had to replace one, if not all sets of these components on our engines to get it back to nominal performance" is way off. I would say maybe 10% have had that issue, and one of the main reasons they came here to this site is because mechanical problems. I joined to learn more about my truck. 126K and not a single tick/knock/rattle. FWIW, a son of a mechanic (the son was in the Army and left the truck with his mechanic dad) while away, kept it meticulous inside and out. I got lucky and found a good one that was well taken care of. Transmission had been serviced at some point before 113K and exhaust leaks are non-existent.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Summers22
I think your comment "The majority of us on this site have had to replace one, if not all sets of these components on our engines to get it back to nominal performance" is way off. I would say maybe 10% have had that issue, and one of the main reasons they came here to this site is because mechanical problems. I joined to learn more about my truck. 126K and not a single tick/knock/rattle. FWIW, a son of a mechanic (the son was in the Army and left the truck with his mechanic dad) while away, kept it meticulous inside and out. I got lucky and found a good one that was well taken care of. Transmission had been serviced at some point before 113K and exhaust leaks are non-existent.
Sorry Summers. I should have been less inclusive with my opinion, but to me it seems like a very good amount of people have this issue. My question is what is your input on lifespan on the timing components. I'm glad that you were able to find a very well maintained truck, though. It's a shame as to how some people can neglect an automobile.

Last edited by JByrd825; 02-11-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Alright guys...let's discuss 3v timing.