Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

All black bumpers,front and rear,questions on this

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All black bumpers,front and rear,questions on this

I havent posted a queastion ina while and think its bout time i did ya'll.

Well i dont like my crome bumpers.Also dont like cleaning them either.Anybody have any pics of their crome bumpers painted by any chance,just want to see how they look thats all and see if i should just paint them,or buy all black ones????

Also anybody know any sites where they offer all black bumpers for an o6 scab with the fog lights holes?Or am i stuck with the crome bumpers?

I am going with the all backout look for my truck.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:58 PM

LineX 'em
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I've seen them for sale (black/primered) on Ebay.

Also check your local junk yard(s). Painting chrome can be tricky; the paint has a difficult task of adhering to chrome. It can be scuffed and an etching primer used, but I'd remove the chrome bumpers and replace with non-chrome, then paint.

You can always sell your chrome ones to re-coop your purchase of the other bumpers, or save them for when you sell the truck in the future.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sirmo
LineX 'em
Don't do that, it looks bad IMO, it takes away from the smooth painted look and sticks out like a sore thumb. find a shop who will blast your bumper and paint them, or have them powdercoated. i asked my guy, he quoted me 350 to paint and blast my bumper dark shadow grey, that price included me bringing in the bumpers. that will be your cheapest route. they can powdercoat right over chrome, however alot of shops are leary to do it. i would go with the paint route, all they do is blast the face of the chrome, epoxy primer, paint to match, baked...will hold up just like the oem if not better.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Truck & Car Hobbyist

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found a painted bumper locally that needed to be repainted for dirt cheap. That bumper will be on next week. Its going to cost me $200 to powder coat my front bumper.
Try your local junkyards, craigslist, and ebay.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im just going to rattle can mine. ill post pics when i finally decide to do it.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ATOM
Don't do that, it looks bad IMO, it takes away from the smooth painted look and sticks out like a sore thumb. find a shop who will blast your bumper and paint them, or have them powdercoated. i asked my guy, he quoted me 350 to paint and blast my bumper dark shadow grey, that price included me bringing in the bumpers. that will be your cheapest route. they can powdercoat right over chrome, however alot of shops are leary to do it. i would go with the paint route, all they do is blast the face of the chrome, epoxy primer, paint to match, baked...will hold up just like the oem if not better.
Well the blasting part i got down.I work ina metal shop and can blast them myself,or have someone do it for me their.Say i paint it myself.Can i epoxy primer it myself and then paint it black??(the color i want)Would it be as simple as using a can of black spray paint with a flexing agent(for windshear so it doesnt crack when going fast)of course it would black spray paint meant for something like that,lol.Could i do it myself and get good results even thoe i have no experience in stuff like that?I want it to look nice.not ****ed up,lol
Old 06-16-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting mine done next week.

My mechanic says they have a primer that eats away at the chrome. He's then going to apply 3 coats of stock paint UA and then 2 coats of clear coat.

Finding back bumpers can be a little difficult and expensive, but you can find black front bumpers on ebay. Pershing Auto supplies them the cheapest Ive seen. They may be about a week or two on back order.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

painting on top of chrome is just dumb, i don't care what self etching primer they use, it's not gonna last......pershing auto sells aftermarket crap FYI...

Originally Posted by Rnger3rd
Well the blasting part i got down.I work ina metal shop and can blast them myself,or have someone do it for me their.Say i paint it myself.Can i epoxy primer it myself and then paint it black??(the color i want)Would it be as simple as using a can of black spray paint with a flexing agent(for windshear so it doesnt crack when going fast)of course it would black spray paint meant for something like that,lol.Could i do it myself and get good results even thoe i have no experience in stuff like that?I want it to look nice.not ****ed up,lol
i don't mean to sound like a dink, but if you never blasted chrome before you can wreck a bumper...if you have, blast it in and take it in...spray can paint will never look as good as paint sprayed with a gun, especially black...also with a bumper you want the paint to be durable and be infared baked on...you can't spray it yourself, but i got a feeling you will be pissed after 1 winter...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ATOM
painting on top of chrome is just dumb, i don't care what self etching primer they use, it's not gonna last......pershing auto sells aftermarket crap FYI...

i don't mean to sound like a dink, but if you never blasted chrome before you can wreck a bumper...if you have, blast it in and take it in...spray can paint will never look as good as paint sprayed with a gun, especially black...also with a bumper you want the paint to be durable and be infared baked on...you can't spray it yourself, but i got a feeling you will be pissed after 1 winter...
Dont worry bout it bro.You dont sound like a dink,lol.I have blasted crome before.i do it ona weekly basis,lol.Ya i kinda figured the spray can pain wouldnt look as good as the gun,Ok will i am going to talk to some shops and see what they offer for a price on both bumpers.Also your right,if i did spray it myself i would be pissed after one winter and would not want to do it again.thanks for the info man.

Quick Reply: All black bumpers,front and rear,questions on this