Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Alignment concerns...

Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment concerns...

I have a '05 F-150 4x4 with a 3" leveling kit. I'm purchasing some 285/70/17 tires from a tire shop . Upon telling the guy I need an alignment,I showed the guy my truck, and told him my old worn out tires started wearing on the inside edge alot,so I may need a caster/camber adjustment. He told me there is no adjustment for that. Is this true? Should I take my truck to a reputable frame shop for an opinion? If anyone knows, how involved is a caster/camber adjustment? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That guy is an *****hat. Take it elsewhere.

BTW,why the small tires on a 4x4 with a 3"lebvel? Thats what I run on my 2wd with a 3"
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 AM

I use my truck for daily Los Angeles traffic ,and side jobs,with off roading only about once a month. Don't worry,I'm sure once I have the tires put on,I'll wish I put 35's on.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Turk,
I just had my alignment done as well (04 FX4 w/ 3") and the guy said the same thing that he can't get the Camber within Factory Specs on just the left side. I thought that was weird because the right side was done and is within the factory specs. Also what I had before of a light grinding/bearing noise (almost sounds like i have mud tires on it) when i turned to the left is now noticeable on straight and level driving. It is actually pretty loud. I think I wasted my $50 on the alignment and doesn't drive any different. What do you guys think?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTruckDriva
Turk,
I just had my alignment done as well (04 FX4 w/ 3") and the guy said the same thing that he can't get the Camber within Factory Specs on just the left side. I thought that was weird because the right side was done and is within the factory specs. Also what I had before of a light grinding/bearing noise (almost sounds like i have mud tires on it) when i turned to the left is now noticeable on straight and level driving. It is actually pretty loud. I think I wasted my $50 on the alignment and doesn't drive any different. What do you guys think?
Thats why I have a LifeTime Balance from Firestone Shop. I can go in once a month if I need to, never havin to shell out a penny. Basically you pay for 2 alignments at once, $150. But I'm glad I have had it. As far as your grinding/mud tires sound, thats what a bearing sounds like when it goes bad on the 2wd. Not sure what is making that on yours. CV? Dont own a 4wd so not 100% on this.

After re-reading a few after posts, I just want to mention My Local Fire Stone never had a problem adjusting anything, toe or camber. A few extra bucks spent, but a lot less headaches received.

Last edited by VanoFord; 04-07-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: FireStone Add-on
Old 04-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They make alignment kits for lifted/lowered trucks. Most of the time, they can't correct the camber. Most kits will correct up to 2 degrees of camber.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

They actually have to do some work to fix the caster/camber, the lazy ones only adjust toe because it's easy.

Caster/camber is adjusted at the lower control arm mounts.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Clutch Kickin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turk2480
I use my truck for daily Los Angeles traffic ,and side jobs,with off roading only about once a month. Don't worry,I'm sure once I have the tires put on,I'll wish I put 35's on.
I did the same thing with my truck and 2.5" HBS kit. 285/70/17 BFG All Terrains just got them today and already wishing I went with 35's. Oh well

Oh and I got an alignment right after the tires were put on and everything went smooth with it and now the truck drives like a dream.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment concerns...