Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

airbox silencer

Old 03-07-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbox silencer

I just got done driving my truck after removing the silencer tube outa my airbox and it seems to have better throttle response. Has anybody else done this mod? If so, can you notice the differnce?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by doncreed
I just got done driving my truck after removing the silencer tube outa my airbox and it seems to have better throttle response. Has anybody else done this mod? If so, can you notice the differnce?
do you have the 5.4? and if so, did you take the tube out from the fender and the airbox front? i know on the 5.4 the filter is on top of the block, and the tube and side boxes run from the filter tray to the fender. if so, i did that last night and it sounds nice. would be funny if your talkin about the same thing, because if so, we both did it the same day i think.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 PM

Do you guys have any pics?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 06CREW
Do you guys have any pics?
pics of what? the mod? or our trucks? the mod is easy to explain. do you have a 5.4? actually, send me a message. and then i can help. if you have the smaller block, then i can help with that too, cause our expedition is the model before my 5.4 with the side filter.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM

No I have the 4.6 and took it out of the box on top where it goes into the intake. I`ll give ya the link from where I learned how to do
and go to the how to articales and it has pics

Last edited by doncreed; 03-08-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

post up some pics...
Old 03-08-2008, 04:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you do it on the 5.4?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:34 AM

This is a relatively inexpensive modification which may increase air flow into the throttle body. If nothing else, It makes a cool sound.

Disclaimer: I made this mod to my of own free will. If you make the mod and screw something up, don't blame me. Also, this mod was not my idea. I found out about it by reading an invaluable forum. I simply put pictures with instructions I gathered from the F-150 Online message board f150online.com. This modification may void your warranty. If in doubt, check with Ford or your. Perform this at your own risk.[/color]
1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal(this will reset the computer to adjust for any increase in air flow which may result from this modification). You will need a 8mm wrench for this. 2. Remove the throttle body cover by removing the three 10mm bolts. (One on passenger side and two on the drivers side of throttle body. Drivers side seen here)

2. Loosen the clamp holding the silencer assembly to the throttle body.

3. Remove the silencer assembly from the throttle body and then remove the two vacuum lines from the silencer assembly near the throttle body.
4. Loosen the clamp holding the silencer assembly to the box and remove the the silencer assembly.
5. Rotate the silencer assembly so as to expose the intake air filter and unplug the sensor.
6. the entire silencer assembly can now be removed from the engine compartment.
7. Remove the AB flex connector from the silencer assembly by CAREFULLY inserting a long, thin blade screwdriver between the flex connector and the silencer assembly and carefully separating the two. (Caution should be taken during this step to ensure that the screw driver does not penetrate the rubber flex connector and the mechanics skin!!). This part of the process will take the longest, as the bond is quite good!

8. Carefully remove the silencer by grasping and twisting slightly to break the bond of the silencer at the small end. The silencer should just slip out.

9. Make sure to blow out the assembly to remove any cuttings which may enter the combustion chamber.
10. Apply a coating of black weather strip adhesive to both the inside of the flex connector and the modified assembly and reassemble, or use a hose clamp.
Installation of the modified silencer assembly is the reverse of the above directions. Make sure the intake air temperature sensor is reconnected as well as the vacuum hoses and battery

Last edited by doncreed; 03-08-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by F-1Fizzy
How do you do it on the 5.4?
well, on the 5.4. unscrew the bolt right behind all the air duct on the drivers side. its the screw right in front of the power steering reservoir. after you pull that screw, just pull the duct from the air box where it connects, it fits kinda funny so just wiggle and pull, then do the same thing to the fender side. its really easy, it gives a really nice sound when you get on it, or when it down shifts for passing gears, its a big difference in sound actually, and it does give a little more power cause your box is wide open and the fan is forcing a little more air into it, but do not, absolutely do not, pull the filter out and run it cold. just leave the filter in the box, and upgrade to a k&n drop in filter. it looks alot better too after the mod is done because you can see its a v-block not some big *** computer. hah...
Old 03-08-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

o ok...thanks alot...by any chance does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like on the 5.4?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: airbox silencer