Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Air springs and lift blocks/shackles

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Air springs and lift blocks/shackles

I just installed an Autospring 2.5" front leveling kit in my 2008 XLT 4x4 and the truck now sits slightly higher (about 1/2 inch) in the front. I plan to install air helper springs at some point in the future so want to make sure whatever I use to level the rear is compatible with the air springs.

Does anyone know if lift blocks and/or lift shackles will cause any issues with the Firestone Ride-Rite or Air Lift Ride Control air bags?

Ideally I would like somewhere around 1" of lift. My preference would be a lift shackle but I am having a difficult time sourcing anyone that makes a 1" lift shackle that ships to Canada. Does anyone know where I could get them?
Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Lift blocks might not be needed if you get airbags. I have Firestone bags and just keeping them at the minimum 5 psi, it raises the rear almost a half inch. I usually keep them at 10-12 psi for all my driving though, even if I don't have anything in the bed.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Also, the brackets for the bags are very easy to extend if you add a 1" block. I've seen guys with massive 4-6" lift blocks that still adjust the bags to work with a huge spacer. You aren't changing the wheel travel distance so all you need is a slightly bigger spacer.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback [MENTION=31274]corey_lax[/MENTION], it was informative posts from users such as yourself that turned me on to airbags in the first place. I remember reading a couple posts from [MENTION=80845]jerrybizzle[/MENTION] and [MENTION=56721]ScrewdFX4[/MENTION] where they said you could raise the rear a little while unloaded without compromising ride quality too much.

Truth be told, I was planning to install airbags at the same time as my front level. I have been saving for front level, airbags, wheels and tires since I purchased the truck. I bought the front level a while ago and recently had to get the front end aligned so figured I might as well do the level now to save having to do the alignment again after installing the spacers. The tires I had on the truck were toast so I picked up some used tires to tide me over until I can get the wheels and tires I want. Between the tires and the alignment it has left me short in the funds department.

I was looking at doing the blocks or shackle as I thought it would be less expensive, but blocks are going to be close to $200 anyway. Shackles would be much less expensive but I am having a difficult time sourcing them up here in Canada. I wanted to do Firestone airbags but there is a $50 rebate for the Airlifts right now so they would be $150 cheaper, that would bring them close to the price of the blocks. I will have to seriously consider that!

Do you notice any difference in ride with the 10-12psi in the bags? I would also be curious if you notice any more spring chatter while going over bumps, especially washboard breaking bumps.
The following users liked this post:
corey_lax (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 10:29 AM

If the airlifts are that much cheaper, you should probably get them! It seems like Firestones get better reviews, but many people have no issues with the airlifts. I think the main complaint is that some of the airlifts are rated for too much weight, whereas I think the firestones are 5,000 lbs max.

At 10-12 psi, it's definitely a little stiffer when you got nothing in the bed. But I have no complaints. I think it hits bumps better than before I had installed the bags. Maybe that should give me a hint that it's time to replace my rear shocks haha. No chatter coming the springs. Everything is improved in my opinion. I think most people run them at the minimum 5 psi which is barely different from stock.
The following users liked this post:
fatedstranger (11-28-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 AM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The main difference is a 2000 pound rating on the air lifts. 2000 pounds is above most payload ratings so shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jerrybizzle
The main difference is a 2000 pound rating on the air lifts. 2000 pounds is above most payload ratings so shouldn't be an issue.
The additional capacity of the Firestones is one of the reasons I initially wanted to get those instead of the Air Lift's. I know the Air Lifts still have a higher rating than the max payload for my truck, but it's pretty close and I liked the idea of having more tolerance. I'm not sure what happens if these things are overloaded but I didn't want to find out. I don't tend to haul heavy loads in the back of my truck, but there are times where I really have no idea how much weight I have back there.

The price of the Air Lift kit ended up being too good an offer to pass up. With an additional 15% off the sale price as well as the $50 mail in rebate the discount was a little over 40%! The cost wasn't much more than what a 3" block would be so I ordered the kit and am eagerly waiting for it's arrival

Quick Reply: Air springs and lift blocks/shackles