Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Air Pressure - Major difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pressure - Major difference

My 2005 4x4 calls for 35 PSI and I've always been an avid beliver that no matter what the tire calls for the information on the vehicle is always right.

My concern is that the difference between what the truck calls for and what the tires call for is pretty big difference.

I have LT285-70-17 tires on the truck and they call for 65 PSI. I know this is if the tires are carrying the full load rating, but I've never had that much difference between what the vehicle and tire calls for.

Just looking for any input on whether to stick with what the truck calls for or deviate to something else in between that would provide the optimum ride, safety etc...

I did bump the pressure up from 35 to 38 in all 4 tires and the ride feels better, but wanted to check around before goinff any further on pressure for safety concerns.

Any info is appreciated.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:04 PM

I'm going to venture a guess that you purchased load range D or E tires. The regular LT tires for a truck are load range C and typically have a max PSI rating in the 40's. When you step up to a larger tire, D or E, they require a higher PSI for their load carrying capacity which is the rating you see on the tire. Your best bet is to keep a close eye on them and check for uneven wear and inflate/deflate them accordingly to make them wear evenly. If you are just doing normal driving(nothing in the bed) I'd start out at 75% of the max and go from there. If you are loading to capacity you may want to air them up further. Watching tire wear and adjusting pressure accordingly will maximize your tire life as well as the MPG you get with that tire.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As was stated, the pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire is the pressure that tire should be operated with while carrying its max load. Your pickup (empty) is no where near the max load for your tires. The pressure listed in your door jamb is the pressure you want to run with an empty truck and factory tires. If you increased the size or changed tire load ratings, this will effect how much pressure you should run. The most accurate way to tell how much pressure you need is by checking the tread pattern with chalk or water to make sure the full width of your tread is in contact with the pavement. Too much pressure and only the center of the tread will make contact with pavement, too little and the outside edge will be heavier than the middle. I set mine to where they make a nice contact pattern then adjust it as they wear. Usually the outside edge will wear on front tires if they arent rotated properly, theres not much that can be done about that except not turning.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the input...They are Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade. The truck had them on it when I purchased it and the fronts were pretty well worn on the outside, I had them rotated and an alignment done immediately as it looked like they had not been rotated since they were put on... The rears looked really good and they were @ 35 when I first got it...

I'll be replacing them in the spring, but appreciate the info to get me through the winter...

Again, thanks for the input.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced my factory tires with LT275/70/18's load range E 10 plys and they have a max 80psi rating. The shop that put them on told me to run 60-70psi in them for normal driving.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I replaced my factory tires with LT275/70/18's load range E 10 plys and they have a max 80psi rating. The shop that put them on told me to run 60-70psi in them for normal driving.
What brand tire are you running?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The new General Grabber AT2, they ride rough as heck but I don't get stuck!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information folks, I was always curious as to know the answer to this question.

Quick Reply: Air Pressure - Major difference