Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Air filter wont fit!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:11 PM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air filter wont fit!!

I have always had service (oil change, filter change, etc) done at a shop while my truck was under warranty so that if anything happened to the motor i would have proof (reciepts) that i had the proper maintance done on it at the proper time frames. Now im over 36k miles and i am doing my own maintance and i went to my local Auto Zone to get a K & N air filter. Took it home and it wont fit. Went back to the Auto Zone and tried a STP and a Fram. All of them will fit in the plastic housing but when i go to lock down the ratchet type thing, it wont go down without really pulling hard on it. I didnt try pulling really hard cause i didnt want to damage the housing. When comparing all the filters to mine, all of them have a bigger diamater rubber seal than mine by about a 1/4 inch. Whats the deal? Am i going to have to go to the dealer to get an air filter?
2006 F150 4.6 L V8
Old 03-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default air filter

Get mine at O'reilly's, Puralator will fit my 05-5.4. Also get my Motorcraft 820s oil filter and Motorcraft 5/20 oil there. They often run a special on the oil and thats when I buy my 7 qts for $15.67 Oops,didn't read your post all the way,just noticed you have the 4.6.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a K & N in my 4.6. Make sure that the filter is sitting correctly in the part of the intake that is moveable. It slides into the round houseing, but then it tries to fall out while your putting the lid and snap on. Make sure the top of the filter is in there right and the snap/ratchet thingy will work just fine. Took me a couple tries to get it the first time.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM

i think mines for a 4.5 chevy i think cause i bought it from a friend for ten bucks cleaned it up and it fits fine on mine theres a little part that sticks out a little on the bottom of the case and wouldnt close unless i had the ratchet thing put on right around that
Old 03-29-2009, 11:58 PM

There are 2 locating tabs at the bottom of one of the covers, these probably were bent over when you installed the filter. Check the bottom of the housing for them.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 AM
cwcw

Originally Posted by lennon2009
I just put a K & N in my 4.6. Make sure that the filter is sitting correctly in the part of the intake that is moveable. It slides into the round houseing, but then it tries to fall out while your putting the lid and snap on. Make sure the top of the filter is in there right and the snap/ratchet thingy will work just fine. Took me a couple tries to get it the first time.

I know im getting it placed in there right because it takes me no time to get the old one in there. The rubber seal is bigger on the K&N than the original one. When looking directly at the filter housing when the rachet is opened, on the left side of the housing where the two pieces meet and butt up together, there is a small ridge line on the inside where the rubber seal on the filter sets inside of this ridge. (This ridge is not the outer rim of the left side of the housin, its just inside of that.) When i put the K&N filter in, the bigger seal of the K&N filter doesnt fit inside of this inner ridge, its sits on top of the ridge which causes the two filter housings not to want to fit together as tight as with the original filter. I have checked all around the housing when trying to rachet down. The filter is in the right place and the rachet is in the right grooves and is seated properly on the two prongs at the bottom that keeps the rachet from sliding and turning. I dont know what the deal is. The guy at auto zone was confused also.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
cwcw

Guess im gonna go buy it again and try it for longer to get the thing in there. Maybe it is me not getting it in right but i would figure it would be just as difficult getting in the original in but its not.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 PM

easy hold the old one up to the new one back to back if its bigger its the wrong one
Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 PM
cwcw

Originally Posted by cody ryan
easy hold the old one up to the new one back to back if its bigger its the wrong one
Umm. I already did that, thats how i know that the new one was 1/4 inch bigger than the old one. And its not the wrong one. I looked them up on Fram.com and K&N's website and from what i remember they are the same model number of the ones me and dude from Auto Zone tried.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by f150cwcw
Umm. I already did that, thats how i know that the new one was 1/4 inch bigger than the old one. And its not the wrong one. I looked them up on Fram.com and K&N's website and from what i remember they are the same model number of the ones me and dude from Auto Zone tried.
hmm.. idl cuz i just put one is mine and it fit perfectly..

Quick Reply: Air filter wont fit!!