Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Air filter replacement micron list?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Air filter replacement micron list?

Does anyone know if they have a micron test list for a 5.4L air filter replacements? I'm curious after searching threads people going with aem or afe or whatever brands I'm more interested in the micron abilities for a dry filter. Or if anyone can shed some light on this. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:20 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Micron test for an air filter?

What's the point, as long as the filter meets OEM specs?

From K&N's website:

We design our air filters to provide superior filtration of the contaminants that can harm your engine while maximizing the airflow characteristics of the filter in question. The ability of an air filter to protect your engine is generally measured in accordance with testing procedure ISO 5011. We subject a sample of our filter designs to this test procedure using Coarse Test Dust, which includes particles ranging in size from less than 5.5 microns to 176 microns. As a point of reference, a human hair is approximately 50 microns in diameter. The result of the above test procedure is a specific air filtration efficiency number. This efficiency number represents the percentage of test dust retained by the filter and thereby kept out of an engine. Our goal is to design our air filters to achieve maximum airflow while targeting overall filtration efficiency at 98%.

"Better" performance in a micron test would by extension mean more restrictive, hence worse flow, which is not what the performance filters are trying to accomplish.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From poking around on threads here seems k&n aren't to great keeping dust out. I want a dry paper filter like motorcraft one or amsoil dry. They seem to have a higher micron and since I don't plan on doing any performance mods except exhaust I want something that keeps the dust when I'm out in backcountry dirt roads.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/

Quick Reply: Air filter replacement micron list?