Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Air bag kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air bag kits

Looking for a new airbag kit for my 04 fx4. There are so many different ones that i looked at i am not sure which one is a good kit or a bad kit. Any recommendations for a good kit to buy and a good place to buy from?? I know that i do want an on board compressor...Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesG
Looking for a new airbag kit for my 04 fx4. There are so many different ones that i looked at i am not sure which one is a good kit or a bad kit. Any recommendations for a good kit to buy and a good place to buy from?? I know that i do want an on board compressor...Thanks in advance.
I just got air lift air bags off autoanything very pleased with them! They actually make the truck ride nicer even woth no weight. They were super easy to install and have a lift time warranty.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the Firestone bags. Really good quality. They generally get better reviews that Air Lift at the time I was researching. I also got mine from Auto Anything. Install was very easy and I am very happy with the purchase. I got the basic kit from Firestone with just 5000 lbs bags, and put the air nipples next to the license plate. It actually only takes about 10 seconds each side to fill up with my cheap cordless compressor. I still would like the gauges in the truck to keep an eye on pressure.

The 5000 lbs bags from either manufacturer run about hte same price.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I've heard firestone manufactures airlift's bags (might just be a rumor) and both have good warranties. if you're comparing the 5000pd kits (which is over kill for any 1/2 ton but to each their own) air lift makes 2 5000pd kits (one with an internal bump stop and one without) and you could save a little coin going without the bump stop.

even though the 5000pd kits are overkill, I really don't like the way the lighter rated air lift kits mount (these cheesy small bolts with a J on the end through holes in the frame for the top mount) and air lift has a disclaimer on the lighter kits that you can't have your vehicle lifted for an extended period of time without either supporting the axles or installing limiting straps but if it's not an extended period of time, it should be fine... well looking at reviews, it's not fine... i've seen a few reviews from guys who have equlizer style weight distribution hitches and traditionally, you use the trailer jack to raise the back of the truck after it's coupled to swing the weight bars on the L brackets... the reviews say that the second the weight of the axle was on the bags extending them, they ripped... now they all mentioned air lift replaced them under warranty but still something to think about.

Quick Reply: Air bag kits