Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Air Bag helpers with a lifted truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Air Bag helpers with a lifted truck

I have an 05 F150 with a 3 inch lift on it. I don't know much about suspension, I bought it used and the lift/suspension was already done. I'm pulling a travel trailer with the truck and would like to install some airbag helper springs and have a question about what types work with a lift kit in play. I was looking at Air Lift Ride Control Helper Springs (code AL59544 at etrailer.com) and it looks like a simple install. That airbag installs on the leaf spring between two brackets. Will this work despite having the lift blocks installed, which looks to cause the leaf springs to be close to the frame without the lift.

The other one I am looking at are the Firestone Ride Rite Air Bag systems. these seem to mount on the axel and my quick research seems to indicate the need to get some spacers for the airbags. Seems like that would make them more expensive.

It'd be great if someone out there with a lift kit on their truck has installed an air bag system, what'd you go with? Gotchas, or lessons learned? Recommendations appreciated.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Lane
I have an 05 F150 with a 3 inch lift on it. I don't know much about suspension, I bought it used and the lift/suspension was already done. I'm pulling a travel trailer with the truck and would like to install some airbag helper springs and have a question about what types work with a lift kit in play. I was looking at Air Lift Ride Control Helper Springs (code AL59544 at etrailer.com) and it looks like a simple install. That airbag installs on the leaf spring between two brackets. Will this work despite having the lift blocks installed, which looks to cause the leaf springs to be close to the frame without the lift.

The other one I am looking at are the Firestone Ride Rite Air Bag systems. these seem to mount on the axel and my quick research seems to indicate the need to get some spacers for the airbags. Seems like that would make them more expensive.

It'd be great if someone out there with a lift kit on their truck has installed an air bag system, what'd you go with? Gotchas, or lessons learned? Recommendations appreciated.
It really depends on both your lift and the air bag system. All the air bags are designed for a stock truck so there is a good chance a spacer would be required for a lifted truck. That being said, if your truck is lifted using a spacer in the rear and you are using stock springs, I don't see how a typical air bag system (that is installed on top of the leaf pack) wouldn't work. I have AirLift Ride Control air bags in my truck and while I don't have a lift, I wouldn't have a problem putting a spacer in below the springs.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Air Lift and gave them my scenario and he recommended the 2000 pound Air Lift Ride Control. I ordered them and will report back with my results.

Quick Reply: Air Bag helpers with a lifted truck