Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

*ahhh! Stranded!* cranking won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *ahhh! Stranded!* cranking won't start

Ill start from the top here 2004 STX 4.6 v8 78k on the odometer.

Two days ago I was on the freeway and heard a loud bang followed by a noticeable loss of power and a loud exhaust leak I limped it off at the next exit (which was mine luckily) on to base and parked it, popped the hood and noticed that my #7 cylinder coil on plug was loose. When I pulled it out the spark plug came with it, a friend of mine told me that the plug holes are easily stripped.

At this point the truck had no problem starting or running but obviously had a rough idle. I tried to limp the truck 3 blocks to autozone (I know, i know, not the best idea) halfway there the idle gets even rougher then stalled. I parked it, used a napa helacoil kit to fix the plug hole and replaced the coil pack.

No luck.

Checked all the fuses, all good.
Swapped the PCM relay. Nothing
Reset the inertia switch. It was tripped.
The truck wants to start it weakly stutters and I swear I smell fuel when I crank it, pulled the #1 plug and I have spark.
Battery is at 12.2 volts
I'm stumped.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Danger Jake
Ill start from the top here 2004 STX 4.6 v8 78k on the odometer. Two days ago I was on the freeway and heard a loud bang followed by a noticeable loss of power and a loud exhaust leak I limped it off at the next exit (which was mine luckily) on to base and parked it, popped the hood and noticed that my #7 cylinder coil on plug was loose. When I pulled it out the spark plug came with it, a friend of mine told me that the plug holes are easily stripped. At this point the truck had no problem starting or running but obviously had a rough idle. I tried to limp the truck 3 blocks to autozone (I know, i know, not the best idea) halfway there the idle gets even rougher then stalled. I parked it, used a napa helacoil kit to fix the plug hole and replaced the coil pack. No luck. Checked all the fuses, all good. Swapped the PCM relay. Nothing Reset the inertia switch. It was tripped. The truck wants to start it weakly stutters and I swear I smell fuel when I crank it, pulled the #1 plug and I have spark. Battery is at 12.2 volts I'm stumped.
well check all the plugs and cops, verify all connections on cops.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:21 AM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

pull the negative battery terminal for about 20 minutes. then put it back on. computer might need to reset. also if you got any CEL codes you might try to clear those.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

would this have to do with that fuel pump delivery module fpdm? Check for a electronic box above your spare tire...

do a search on here for the fpdm if you don't know what it does
Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbinsracin
pull the negative battery terminal for about 20 minutes. then put it back on. computer might need to reset. also if you got any CEL codes you might try to clear those.
Agreed! It's worth a try for an ecu reset, or use a code reader to clear all DTCs.
Is the fuel smell from the engine bay, ? If it's from the engine bay, check the fuel lines and connections, Might want to check the injector on the cylinder that blew, there may be damage to the injector... If the injector is stuck open, or broken, you will have unburned fuel.. It's also possible that a damaged injector was part of the cause of the blown spark plug.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Most on this site when having a loose spark plug can cause the smell of fuel
Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 PM

So I have an update, first off I pulled a code p0193 high fuel rail pressure. As for the smell of fuel yes its coming from the motor, and at one point after jackingthe truck up a bunch of unburned fuel poured out of a pin hole in my exaust. I pulled the fpcm and It didn't have any of the corrosion conditions that I've hearc cause issues. I seems like its flooding when I try to start it, any ideas?

Trending Topics

Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 PM

A complete guess ...
Did you plug the catalytic converters?
Ruin the o2 sensors?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Fuel injector stuck open? Common on 04s
Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Replace that injector or you could hydrolock your engine. I would inspect other injectors as well. When the plug blew out of the cylinder did you inspect the plug to see if it was damaged? Did any spark plug fragments fall into the cylinder? Was the plug wet with gas? Gray/white? Chocolate? Reading the plug could tell you a thing or two as well.

Quick Reply: *ahhh! Stranded!* cranking won't start