Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ahh! truck shaking! Help!

Old 08-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ahh! truck shaking! Help!

2005 f150 screw 5.4 4x4 42k miles

truck shakes when I turn from a stop, stops shaking as I straighten out my steering. Worst when I am stopped with my wheels turned then drive.

I think I narrowed it to my power steering b/c when I am stopped, in gear or park and turn the wheel from left to right it shakes. I just drained and refilled the ps fluid, I had topped it off with power steering fluid and thought maybe mixing it with the mercon messed it up. No difference.

I put the front end up on jacks and could not find any play in any ball joins or tie rods.

I do not want to take it in to the dealer if I do not have to. Why? I already had to replace the plugs and #4 coil and throttle body. Oh and I think my cats are bad-another story. This truck sucks. Never had a problem with any ford until this one. It must have been made on a Friday before a long weekend.

This summer we put on 4k miles towing a 5300lb camper-loaded with us about 7500lbs-to Texas, Tn mountains and back to Fl. I use a weight distributing hitch.

My belt is in the middle of the wear mark on the tensioner. I am thinking it is the pump or the rack. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

definitely in the rack or pump, if the rack isn't leaking at all, i would be money it's the power steering pump, father in law replaced his at like 80k on his 04, it just went to hell one day.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Atom, I figure I will start with the simplest and cheapest and work my way up. Ps pump is about 70 bucks, may as well do my drive belt too. If that doesnt work I guess I will try the rack. Has anyone used the rebuild kit? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...AMS_1004047966___
Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have never rebuilt a pump yet, for the cost of the kit and downtime, just was never worth it to me, if you got nothing but time, go for it, i do hear that if you don't do it exactly right, it will leak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ahh! truck shaking! Help!