Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Aftermarket Transmission Pan Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Aftermarket Transmission Pan Question

Hey folks,

I would like to replace the stock transmission pan with an aftermarket pan like the Mag Hytec one but I don't know which one to get. They have a version that has 1.5 quarts more capacity and a deeper one with 2.5 quarts capacity over stock.

Do any of you all with lifted trucks have the deeper 2.5 Mag Hytec? How much closer is it to the cross member over stock?

Mike
Old 03-22-2014, 11:34 AM

You can't tell me that out of all the people on this forum that NO ONE has a deeper aftermarket transmission pan???!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:28 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Hi.

Relax - folks have lives outside this forum. Please exercise some patience. This 'instant gratification' thing ain't impressing anyone.

There are no clearance issues with either pan - the depth increase is in an area not impacted by any crossmembers. So - it's purely personal preference.

They look nice, but for less money, you could just install a drain plug and add an extra active trans fluid cooler. End result is far better than what these pans do (other than 'bling'). Just sayin'. I suspect though, since yer lifted, yer after 'bling', so be sure and buy the diff cover too.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 03-22-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by MGD
Hi.

Relax - folks have lives outside this forum. Please exercise some patience. This 'instant gratification' thing ain't impressing anyone.

There are no clearance issues with either pan - the depth increase is in an area not impacted by any crossmembers. So - it's purely personal preference.

They look nice, but for less money, you could just install a drain plug and add an extra active trans fluid cooler. End result is far better than what these pans do (other than 'bling'). Just sayin'. I suspect though, since yer lifted, yer after 'bling', so be sure and buy the diff cover too.

good luck
MGD
I already have a differential cover on the truck. The biggest reason I want the pan is because I need the extra fluid capacity and yes for the bling. The problem I'm having right now is that I want to be sure that the 4R70DD pan I want from Mag-Hytec fits our 4R75. Other sites say yes, and other sites say no. From what I understand about these transmissions is that YES, the 4R70 pan from Mag-Hytec will fit the 4R75 tranny we have. Can you offer any insight or advice on that?

And in regard to the "lives" thing.....I understand this completely given that I'm currently in Afghanistan.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:16 PM

I just got verification that the 4R70W pan from Mag-Hytec will fit our 4R75W transmission. Thank you for your insight on the crossmember issue MGD.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

I have an aftermarket pan from LPW Racing Products: http://lpwracing.com/Trans_Pans/Deep...sion_Pans.html

2 quart extra capacity and no clearance issues at all. Also it doesn't hang below the crossmembers, allowing you to still use the skid plates. The powdercoated version is $159, I bought the bare one for $129 and powdercoated it myself.
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by EBC-150
I have an aftermarket pan from LPW Racing Products: http://lpwracing.com/Trans_Pans/Deep...sion_Pans.html

2 quart extra capacity and no clearance issues at all. Also it doesn't hang below the crossmembers, allowing you to still use the skid plates. The powdercoated version is $159, I bought the bare one for $129 and powdercoated it myself.
I saw this one online and actually thought about getting it, but I ended up going with the Mag-Hytec because the pan utilizes an O-ring gasket. I wonder now if this will clear the skid plate on my truck now that you mention it. I guess I'll have to find out once I get back home.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by EBC-150
I have an aftermarket pan from LPW Racing Products: http://lpwracing.com/Trans_Pans/Deep...sion_Pans.html 2 quart extra capacity and no clearance issues at all. Also it doesn't hang below the crossmembers, allowing you to still use the skid plates. The powdercoated version is $159, I bought the bare one for $129 and powdercoated it myself.
Now that is a sweet pan at a good value!

How many quarts does the MAG pan hold vs the 2 extra quarts this one holds?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Now that is a sweet pan at a good value!

How many quarts does the MAG pan hold vs the 2 extra quarts this one holds?
The Mag-Hytec 4R70DD holds 8 quarts total. I imagine it is half a quart more capacity than the LPW.

Dollars and cents makes LPW the better buy.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Transmission Pan Question