Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Aftermarket TPMS "how to reset" and fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Aftermarket TPMS "how to reset" and fix

Ok I thought I would post this up to help someone else and prevent them from the BS I went through to get my TPMS sensors to work.

And yes the factory sensors are band style 180* away from valve stem. The oro-tek brand sensors I had installed are valve stem style. Yes universal valve stem sensors will work on our trucks.

I have aftermarket Oro-tek brand sensors installed in my Fuel Throttle wheels. I installed the wheels on my truck in January replacing the stock 20" wheels. No light came on for two days. I though I was good until it suddenly came on. I thought no big deal I'll take it to stealership and have them reset them when I get an alignment done after my leveling kit install.

Well fast forward a month of the light on, I finally get level installed and take it in. Dealership says they cannot get the sensors to sync no matter what they try. Their tool will not detect them.

I took it back home. I tried every procedure on line I could possibly find. Magnets, tire deflation etc, etc. No luck.

Take it to another shop. No luck.

I borrowed an OTC MAC tpms scan tool and attempted it myself. I could get the truck in learn mode but it would not pick up sensors no matter what I tried. I thought maybe it was the thick 10 ply terra grapplers that were the problem. Finally after 12 attempts it worked. Heres how:

1) put truck in learn mode.

a. cycle key from off position to "run" position (do not start) three times

b. while key is still in run position (on 3rd key turn) step on brake and release

c. turn key off (must do a,b,c in 1 minute)

d. cycle key to "run" position three more times and on third key turn leave on "run"

e. truck's horn will sound once indicating learn mode

f. tpms reset procedure (all 4 tires) must be done within 20 minutes or truck will "timeout"

g. using scan tool place in reset procedure mode for your year of F-150 if not using factory TPMS tool

h.starting at front left hold scan tool (or ford activation tool) on tire sidewall (not rim) 180* away from valve stem (for factory sensors) or in my case I had to hold directly on tire sidewall next to sensor

i. horn will sound once if detected. if not attempt again till it does. Should happen within 6 seconds

j. move to front right and complete same. THen right rear and then left rear. (clockwise). Horn should sound each time it detects sensor.

k. Turn off ignition. If truck sounds once, reset successful. If it honks twice, it failed. It failure signalled, follow same procedure.

l. I then had to "activate" the sensors. (per MAC OTC scanner instructions this must be done AFTER reset) Attend to each sensor one at at a time. Hold scanner in same manner on tire sidewall and hit activate button. Should detect and read sensor activated. Mine were at 315 mhz.

m. Once sensors are activated the truck should be synced and light should go out.

Here are some important tips I learned:

1. NOT HAVE ANY CELL PHONES OR RADIO DEVICES NEAR-BYE!!!!

2. I followed same procdure a dozen times with no success. It was three nights of screwin' around. but had deflated my tires to around 10psi before starting. When I was at each sensor in the reset procdure (step h) I held the scanner in one hand and filled the tire with air with the other. This seemed to wake each one up. It was only when I did this did I have success.

That's it, hope it wasn't too complicated, it worked for me but until I ditched my phone and filled the tires did it finally work.

Any questions please ask.

Last edited by Moremoney; 02-28-2013 at 09:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

what a pain in da ***...
Old 08-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Someone linked this post to get their aftermarket TPMS sensors to work, which I why I'm posting on this old thread. I just wanted to point out that if you get new Ford OEM TPMS sensors on a 2015+ and the sensors are FOR 2015+ trucks (they are different) then you don't have to do anything special. The truck will automatically pick up the new sensors after about 10 minutes of driving.

After a few minutes, your pressure readouts in the cluster screen will all change to dashes (--) and then after a while it'll show the pressure from the new sensors.

Just an FYI for the 2015+ guys.

NOTE that if you have non-OEM Ford sensors (aftermarket/universal), you still need to do the above procedure.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:56 AM

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
Someone linked this post to get their aftermarket TPMS sensors to work, which I why I'm posting on this old thread. I just wanted to point out that if you get new Ford OEM TPMS sensors on a 2015+ and the sensors are FOR 2015+ trucks (they are different) then you don't have to do anything special. The truck will automatically pick up the new sensors after about 10 minutes of driving.

After a few minutes, your pressure readouts in the cluster screen will all change to dashes (--) and then after a while it'll show the pressure from the new sensors.

Just an FYI for the 2015+ guys.

NOTE that if you have non-OEM Ford sensors (aftermarket/universal), you still need to do the above procedure.
Thanks for the heads up for the 2016+ crew.. do you know if we need a sensor /clicker for the relearn process? I put on my Fuel rims with aftermarket sensors and really want to have the truck pick them up and stop flashing the dash warning. any tip help is greatly appreciated. aloha

Quick Reply: Aftermarket TPMS "how to reset" and fix